News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

John Carpenter- Night. Some country should make this their national anthem.  :ph34r:

Eddie Teach

Richard Bone- Pyrambala (Solace & Embers). Spooky. Me like.
Metallica- For Whom the Bell Tolls. Time marches on.
Blue Foundation- Eyes on Fire (Zed's Dead Remix)
Black Keys- Everlasting Light
Tenacious D- Pod (The Pick of Destiny)
Apocalyptica- Hall of the Mountain King

Syt

Depeche Mode - Blasphemous Rumours
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
Blue Öyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper
Blondie - One Way Or Another

Kansas - Carry On My Wayward son
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Rage Hard
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

The KLF - Last Train To Trancentral
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Kronic & Krunk! - Hey Ho

Not really listening though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

The Beatles - Revolver

It's amusing that George is both the most materialistic Beatle (TAXMAN!!!) as well as the most spiritual (Love You To).  His off tempo count here to kick off the album is so different than Paul's on "Please Please Me" that alone demonstrates how much the group had grown in just four years.

This is Paul's album (Elanor Rigby, Here, There and Everywhere, Yellow Submarine, Good Day Sunshine, Got to Get You Into My Life and the music to Tomorrow Never Knows) the way Rubber Soul was John's.  George once remarked that this was a continuation to Rubber Soul, but it sounds far beyond their previous album.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Barrett Strong - Money and Me (1961)

Barrett's third failed attempt to have a follow up to "Money," (he'd have one more.)  They went all out on this one with all sorts of instrumentation (which ended up sounding incongruous and drowning out Barrett) and all four of Motown's premier song writers at the time (Berry Gordy, Smokey Robinson, Janie Bradford and Robert Bateman.)  It's a tale about how having money only left Barrett unhappy ( :().  It's not very good.

The B side is You've Got What It Takes a remake of the Marv Johnson song written by Berry Gordy pre-Motown.  Those aren't some of Berry's better lyrics and Marv does the song better.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Keith Richards thought that The Beatles got carried away too far on this one.  That could be sour grapes since the Rolling Stones attempt at psychedelia left something to be desired:

Oh, Mick, what were you thinking on?  To be fair, though, Richards' is the ultimate Chuck Berry and blues fan; and The Beatles certainly went off in a different direction on this one.  Even the other masterpieces of psychedelia (Love's Forever changes and The Zombies' Odessey and Oracle (no that's not a misspelling)) aren't this amazing.

Eddie Teach

Louis Armstrong- La Vie en Rose
Amy Winehouse- Back to Black

Savonarola

Little Iva and Her Band When I needed you (1961)

No, not the Loco-motion Litte Eva, this one is actually Berry Gordy's second wife, Raynoma Gordy.  It's a slow tempo doo-wop song.  It's not a bad song, but it does sound like it's sung by the boss's wife.  With a better singer and some backup vocals this one might have been a hit.

The B Side is The Continental Strut; it's a mid-paced instrumental with a rockabilly guitar.  It's a decent song.  Miss Ray is probably the organist, she worked as a keyboardist and background singer during the very early days of Motown.

Admiral Yi

I'm enjoying your stroll through the Beatles and Motown Sav.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2015, 03:22:52 PM
I'm enjoying your stroll through the Beatles and Motown Sav.

Thank you.   :)

Savonarola

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

Released as an LP in North America; this contains the British double EP soundtrack to the movie and the singles.  This album has two of John's best compositions "I am the Walrus" and "Strawberry Fields Forever."  Paul's songs all sound perfectly polished; but he really could have used more lyrics on "Your Mother Should Know" and maybe a different concept for the title track; I think it's too much like the opening to "Sgt. Peppers."

I had thought before that George's composition "Blue Jay Way," was too long, but on this listen I thought maybe that's what makes it work.  It's length allows the song to become hypnotic.  It is clever, musically, in that George can now write a classical Indian inspired piece entirely on western instruments.

Probably the most stark difference between John and Paul (and where they were heading) is "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane."  Both are songs about childhood reminisces and both are excellent; but they're worlds apart.

I like the instrumental "Flying."  George Lucas (IIRC) said they used to watch the scene from the movie in film school.  Apparently it's the only part of the film worth watching.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.