News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Cole Porter - Anything Goes

One of Porter's greatest songs; the lyrics are clever, but unfortunately they're stuck in 1930s America.  The vast majority of the references are lost on modern audiences (though easy to look up in the age of Wikipedia.)

Hey Mono can you make out what Kate Capshaw is saying in this version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1H9eKWPGRo or is it jibberish?

(I've seen too many old movies.  I kept thinking, when watching that, the real Busby Berkeley would have had at least ten times as many dancers and a far more elaborate set  ;).)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Sheryl Crow - Everyday Is A Winding Road
Missy Elliot - Get Ur Freak On
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Cowboy Junkies--Open Road (live)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Jethro Tull--She Said She was a dancer
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Cole Porter - You're the Top

Another Cole Porter song from "Anything Goes," this one is interesting because it tells us what they thought the best of the best was in 1934.  It's clever, but it's also funny, especially the way he throws high art, natural wonders, popular culture and commercial products all together.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Listening a fair bit to Southern Gothic/Dark Americana at work:

Mississippi John Hurt - Nobody's Dirty Business

A 1928 song, I had it running in the background till I suddenly noticed the lyrics and thought, "WTF?"

QuoteAin't nobody's dirty business, how my baby's treatin' me
Nobody's business but mine
Ain't nobody's doggone business, how my baby's treatin' me
Nobody's business but my own

Some of these mornin's, gonna wake up crazy
Gonna grab my gun and kill my baby

Some of these mornin's gonna wake up boozy
Gonna grab my gun, gonna kill old Suzie
Ain't nobody's business but mine

Goin' back to Pensacola, goin' to buy my babe a money moulder

Say babe, did you get that letter?

Would you take me back, I'll treat you better?

Some of these mornin's, goin' to wake up crazy
Gonna grab my gun, gonna kill my baby

Nobody's busïness but my own
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

The Beatles - Help!

This one is a much better album than "Beatles for Sale."  George is finally getting his song per side in; and while they're not as good as the Lennon-McCartney songs, they're usually better than the  covers.  The exception is "Act Naturally," which might have been written for Ringo.  There's a few more forgettable numbers on this one than most subsequent Beatles albums, but "Help!", "Ticket to Ride," and "Yesterday" are classics.

Savonarola

Debbie Dean - Don't Let Him Shop Around
(B Side A New Girl)

Debbie Dean was the first white artist signed to Motown (Tamla had distributed Nick and the Jaguars Ich-I-Bon #1, but they weren't signed to Motown.)  Her first single was a response to "Shop Around," the same song with different lyrics and The Miracles backing her.  It would have been funny had Claudette Robinson sang lead on this one, but as it is it's a so-so novelty record.  The B-Side is actually a good song; Dean has the perfect voice for it.  She was a lot older (at 33) than most of the Motown artists, so she sounds considerably more mature and world weary.

Eddie Teach

Tupac ft Snoop Dogg- 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

The Ryan Adams cover of Taylor Swifts 1989 album is pretty great, mostly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Liep

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 10:44:30 AM
The Ryan Adams cover of Taylor Swifts 1989 album is pretty great, mostly.

:yes:

It's like a good Ryan Adams album, but more catchy.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

The Miracles - Ain't It Baby

The follow up single to "Shop Around," this sounds like Smokey tried to rewrite "Shop Around" with a different chorus.  Unfortunately it's just not all that good. 

I like the B-Side  The Only One I Love.  It sounds like the slow dance song from the sock hop (:wub:).