News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Sherri Taylor & Singin' Sammy Ward - "Oh Lover" (1960)

Motown's first duet; it isn't exactly Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell.  Instead it's a jumping blues numbers where Singin' Sammy and Sherri trade lines.  It's a blistering number, and a lot of fun.

This single failed to chart and Sherri Taylor never had much success after that.  Before Motown, though, she had a single with another local Detroit label also on West Grand Boulevard Called Gloreco.  (That record company fell apart because Motown poached all its singers.)  Her single was "He's the One that Rings My Bell":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRn3nZIB6Vc

It's too bad that wasn't with a better label.  It's a product of its time, but it's still a pretty cool song.  :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

Daughter - Doing the Right Thing

:wub:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

The Beatles - Hard Day's Night

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

This is the first Beatles albums with all original material and the only one with only Lennon-McCartney songs.  (In fact it's almost entirely a Lennon album, with Paul writing only the three ballads.)  I think this is the album where their own sound starts to gel; each song is no longer a rock song or an R&B song or a folk ballad, instead they're all Beatles songs.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

The artist radio on Spotify is extremely hit and miss. It used to be better, but it seems much narrower when you select and artist and seems to repeat itself more often than it used to months ago.

Nevertheless it scored 5 nostalgic hits in a row for me on my commute home, taking me back to the 90s when I was a teenager:

Based off Body Count:

Body Count - KKK Bitch
Faith No More - Epic
Pantera - Walk
Rage Against the Machine - Bombtrack
Danzig - Mother (yes, it was originally an 80s song, but I listened to it A LOT).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Henry Lumpkin - I've Got a Notion (1961)

Motown is still stuck in the 1950s here with this doo-wop number (much more so on the B-Side "We Really Love Each Other", which sounds like it comes straight out of the jukebox at the malt shop.)  It's still a fun little number and Henry Lumkpin (what a name) has a good voice for this sort of song.

Syt

Slackeye Slim - Vengeance Gonna Be My Name
Tennessee Ernie Ford - Sixteen Tons
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Eddie Teach

Another day older and deeper in debt.

Tool- Schism
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

In the early 1990s a number of orchestras from behind the former Iron Curtain lost their state subsidies and cranked out a number of mediocre albums to try to make ends meet.  I was listening to the highlights from "Carmen" from one of those.  Inexplicably a number of the songs are instrumentals from the suite including The March of the Gamins, Danse Boheme and (most inexplicably) Habanera:huh:

It occurred to me that "Carmen" has an awful lot of peppy numbers for an opera about betrayal and murder.

Eddie Teach

Savonarola

The Beatles - Beatles for Sale

Everything has to end, and on this album Beatlemania (:w00t::w00t::w00t:) was clearly over.  This was their fourth album in 21 months at a time when they were still playing concerts, playing the BEEB and even made a movie.  It's no surprise that they sound burnt out (and the album features 6 covers.)  There are some high points on here, "No Reply" is John's most sophisticated writing to date, "Rock and Roll Music" is probably the only time The Beatles managed to do Chuck Berry better than Chuck Berry and "Eight Days a Week," shows the start of the studio wizardry they became known for.

Going back through their older albums, I'm surprised to find how dominant John Lennon was on these.  I usually listen to the albums "Revolver" and afterwards where Paul is clearly the leader of the band.

Savonarola

Jimmy Ruffin - Don't Feel Sorry For Me (1961)

Jimmy Ruffin's debut, and the debut of the short lived "Miracle" record line.  (Strangely The Miracles did not record on Miracle, they were on Tamla for everything except "Bad Girl" which was on Motown.)  This is an exciting horn driven number written by Ruffin himself.  He's trying hard to sound like Jackie Wilson here; but he still sounds great.  The back side "Heart" (also written by Ruffin) is awful, but the A side is pretty good.  Not quite the Motown sound, but it's getting there.

Jimmy's little brother, David, was then on Anna records, which was owned by Berry Gordy's older sister Gwen.

Eddie Teach

Rihanna- Bitch Better Have My Money
Flo Rida- GDFR :punk:

Liep

Mø - Kamikaze

That hook feels like it should've been made already. Goddamn it's catchy.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk