And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Ghost - Zenith :pope:

I can't place the piano part. :mad:

mongers

Dire Straits - 'Brothers in Arms'

Heard most of the tracks a load of times, but I don't recall ever having listened to the whole album, it was just one of those that escaped my buying tendency when it came out.   :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2015, 04:16:59 PM

Heard most of the tracks a load of times, but I don't recall ever having listened to the whole album, it was just one of those that escaped my buying tendency when it came out.   :blush:

Surpising, given that it was so ubiquitous back then.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 05, 2015, 04:33:03 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2015, 04:16:59 PM

Surpising, given that it was so ubiquitous back then.

It came out two weeks before my finals and a lot of other stuff happened in that year so a bit hectic and it got overlooked, but I do remember it being on MTV in bars.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Barrett Strong - Whirlwind (1960)

Barrett Strong's second failed attempt to have a follow up hit to "Money," (he'd have two more.)  He does his best Ray Charles on this one; but it just doesn't really work out.  It's Strong's first songwriting credit; he'd go on to write hits like "Heard it through the Grapevine," "War," and "Poppa was a Rolling Stone" with Norman Whitfield.

The B-Side "I'm Gonna Cry (If You Quit Me)" (written by Smokey and Barry) is pretty funny.  He sings about how tough he is (I used to beat up the cops, just for fun) but how he's going to dissolve into tears if his girl leaves him.  Best lines:

I can run through the jungle
Kill a lion with a switch
Everybody knows I'm a bad as... I can be

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Singin' Sammy Ward - What Makes You Love Him? (1960)

Prior to starting Motown Records, Barry Gordy had owned a music shop.  At the time blues one of the most popular music forms for African-Americans.  Gordy refused to sell blues albums and only stocked his store with jazz; so he went out of business and ended up working on the assembly line for a while.

Knowing that it's a little surprising that Gordy not only got a genuine blues man for his label with Singin' Sammy, but wrote his singles.  This first one is a little too slick and polished, sort of like Muddy Waters doing a Ray Charles :cool: impression.  The B Side (written by Gordy and Robinson) is a raucous blues piano number called "That Child is Really Wild."  That was so good that Gordy had a change of heart, pulled the record and rereleased it with the bluesier "Who's the Fool?" (again written by Barry and Smokey.)  That made it onto the R&B charts and became Motown's fourth charting single.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Savonarola

The Miracles - Shop Around (1960)

The hit version of the song is actually the third single version of "Shop Around" (all were released within a few weeks of each other.)  The earlier versions are slower, bluesier and feature more sax and tambourine.  The hit version is much better, and went on to become Motown's first million selling record.

The B-Side is "Who's Loving You?"  Smokey says that when he sings this in concert people will say to him "I didn't know you covered Michael Jackson songs."  The Jackson 5 version is deservedly the hit; the Miracles version is a pedestrian doo-wop number.  In Michael's hands the song is a masterpiece.

The Brain

Eddie Teach

Atmosphere- Sunshine
Funkadelic- Hit It and Quit It