News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Little Richard - Here's Little Richard

This isn't the first great LP of the Rock and Roll era (Elvis Presley :elvis: released "Elvis Presley" :elvis: the year before), but it is the game changer.  It's a wild ride from the opening "Wop bop a loo bop a lop bom bom!" to the end. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Flogging Molly - The Speed of Darkness

Having seen them live, I'm very much into this band now - it's like a cross between the Pogues and the Clash.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

The Andrew Sisters - Rum and Coca Cola

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeY2ORU5uU4

Those are some surprisingly open-minded lyrics for the 40s.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Didn't the Andrew Sisters claim ignorance of the meaning of the song?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2015, 08:06:38 AM
Didn't the Andrew Sisters claim ignorance of the meaning of the song?

Yes, I believe so.  Also I've read that the song is a rip-off of a genuine Calypso song.

Here we go, it's originally by Lord Invader:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMWUF3LYd88

Much funnier, but nowhere near as smooth as the Andrew Sister.

garbon

Concrete Blonde - Tomorrow, Wendy
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2015, 04:14:26 PM
Concrete Blonde - Tomorrow, Wendy

She's going to die, you know.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Brandon Beal - Side Bitch Issues
Iggy Azalea feat. Jennifer Hudson - Trouble
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Paula Abdul- Forever Your Girl
Led Zeppelin- Bring it on Home
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Myrkur - Skøgen skulle dø

A one woman black metal act. Interesting. Syt probably has more details.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Tonitrus

Ice Cube - Down For Whatever