Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on December 01, 2014, 06:16:08 PM
King Crimson's Discipline comes to mind, oddly

:)

Are the various recent remasterings any better than the 1990ish remasters (definitive?) I have of 'Discipline' and 'Beat'?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

King Crimson- Elephant Talk. It was ok, definitely no Court of Crimson King or Starless though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2014, 06:34:45 PM
Quote from: Josephus on December 01, 2014, 06:16:08 PM
King Crimson's Discipline comes to mind, oddly

Are the various recent remasterings any better than the 1990ish remasters (definitive?) I have of 'Discipline' and 'Beat'?

I don't have recent remasters of the 80s era Crimso...keep meaning to pick them up
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 01, 2014, 06:38:40 PM
King Crimson- Elephant Talk. It was ok, definitely no Court of Crimson King or Starless though.

Currently listening to this, weird project and has a lot of famous musicians on it:

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on December 01, 2014, 07:44:42 PM
Never heard it...any good?

I found it on my hard drive, bought it from emusic a few years back, don't think I ever gave it a spin.

It seems good in parts, 'Speak to me/Breathe' is neat, has Malcolm McDowell doing the mad bloke voice.  :cool:

I'm listening to the rest of it now.

Has a lot of other musicians on in, including Gentle Giants' Gary Green, also Bill Bruford, Tony Kaye and Geoff Downes.

I'll report back.

edit:

The Rick Wakeman led version of the 'Great Gig In the Sky' is very different and rather good.
'Time' is a disappointment given who's on it.
'Money' is OK, a bit pedestrian, which is odd given it's got Bruford, Levin and Gary Green on it.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on December 01, 2014, 08:46:44 PM
who does Time?

I only recognise a few of them.

"Time" (featuring Gary Green, Billy Sherwood, Michael Sherwood, Robby Krieger, David Sancious, Alan White, Jay Schellen, Colin Moulding, CC White) 6:58

Full details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_the_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon

Tonitrus

David Foster - Don't Ask the Reasons Why

Syt

Equilibrium have done a pretty decent cover/medley of Jeremy Soule's main themes for Morrowind and Skyrim - if you're into symphonic metal:

http://open.spotify.com/track/1Z0slNiv4tTXcAtrX35B3f

If link doesn't work, search for "Himmelsrand" in Spotify. Only a short version exists on YouTube (and bad quality live clips).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2014, 07:35:55 PM

Currently listening to this, weird project and has a lot of famous musicians on it:

Adrian Belew certainly has guitar credentials. I think he played on Zappa's "Sheik Yerbouti".

Eddie Teach

Adele- Make You Feel My Love
Nick Cave- Your Funeral, My Trial
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on December 02, 2014, 05:43:13 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2014, 07:35:55 PM

Adrian Belew certainly has guitar credentials. I think he played on Zappa's "Sheik Yerbouti".

Yeah he's a pretty cool guy.

I have a couple of his solo albums, 'Twang Bar King' and I think 'Lone Rhino', some interesting wacky sounding track on them.

garbon

Erykah Badu - Gone Baby, Don't Be Long
Tegan & Sara - Love They Say
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive