News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Here's a forgotten Motown gem; The Satintones, "My Beloved Don't Know": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f270sYemLoI

It was later re-released with strings:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvrB-M98XQ

It's Berry Gordy's attempt to glom onto the success of The Drifters "There Goes My Baby," (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3HXy9mGPpI) but, unlike his previous attempt to re-create "Purple People Eater," this one is really good.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Ella Fitzgerald- Puttin' on the Ritz
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

John Carpenter--"Vortex."

This is, in fact, new stuff, not from one of his movies--though it sounds like it should have been, and he's got a whole album of it coming out in February or March! :o

Probably also a signifier that Carpenter isn't ever going to make another film, and knows he isn't ever going make another film, so he reckoned it best to polish up and release the score ideas he'd had laying around, since they'd never otherwise be used, before he passes.  The logical leap makes me a little sad. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on November 07, 2014, 04:03:22 PM
Here's a forgotten Motown gem; The Satintones, "My Beloved Don't Know": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f270sYemLoI

It was later re-released with strings:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvrB-M98XQ

It's Berry Gordy's attempt to glom onto the success of The Drifters "There Goes My Baby," (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3HXy9mGPpI) but, unlike his previous attempt to re-create "Purple People Eater," this one is really good.

I'll have to check these out when my autism tells me I've listened to the JC track enough times. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Eddie Teach

Glenn Miller- Chatanooga Choo Choo
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

rufweed

ashamed to say but... Loverboy. killme.

mongers

Black Sabbath - 'Black Sabbath' - genre defining, yet apparently recorded in just one day back in October 1969.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

it's actually my favourite Sabbath album.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on November 09, 2014, 07:49:21 PM
it's actually my favourite Sabbath album.

:cool:

Yeah, it's got a very distinct sound, I can imagine them just recording it, all but live. And according to wiki there's virtually no overdubs on it.   :)

mongers

From a similar era, I think 1970  -

Gentle Giant -'Nothing At All' -

QuoteNow she sits by the riverside
Watching the waters glide by with a sigh
And the things she put faith in
Are ripples just waving her by with a sigh

She sees lovers pass by
With much more than a kiss
Ahh this, here's a girl who had everything
Find she's nothing at all

Now the wind seems so cold seems so old
As it laughs at her fears and her tears
And as ducks swim away from her visions
Of past love, appear in her tears

She sees love in his face
As she tells him to go
And so, here's a girl who had everything

What would she say, yeah if she saw him? Yeah
Now that she's gone man, you're losing, yeah
Now you can see what she's seeing, yeah
For sure she'd be more than choosing, yeah

You're losing man, yeah, come on, babe
Yeah losing, yeah you, you're losing, man
Alright yeah, yeah, yeah
Come on, play

Now she sits by the riverside
Watching the waters glide by with a sigh
And the things she put faith in
Are ripples just waving her by with a sigh

She sees lovers pass by
With much more than a kiss
Ahh this, here's a girl who had everything

Songwriters
Minnear, Kerry / Shulman, Derek / Shulman, Philip / Shulman, Raymond

:hmm:

mongers

Deep Purple 'Perfect Strangers' from 1983, pretty good for a reunion album of a classic line up, certainly worth doing.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on November 11, 2014, 02:22:22 PM
Deep Purple 'Perfect Strangers' from 1983, pretty good for a reunion album of a classic line up, certainly worth doing.

Probably one of the best all time "reunion" albums
Civis Romanus Sum

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on November 11, 2014, 07:10:39 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 11, 2014, 02:22:22 PM

Probably one of the best all time "reunion" albums

Indeed.

This ploughing through with re-encoding my 'record' collection; redisovery lots of forgotten music. Currently listening to BOC  ' Secret Treaties'  - 'Dominance And Submission'  :)