News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Not every Motown single was good.  Here's an awful novelty number by Ron & Bill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QlIBdVEN9g

It was supposed to glom on to the success of the then current "Purple People Eater," but it's just so bad that it couldn't.  I don't think that even the Beastie Boys came up with lyrics that stupid on "Licensed to Ill."  What's really funny is that "Ron" is Ronnie White of The Miracles, and "Bill" is none other than William "Smokey" Robinson.   (This was their first single on Motown, and only single as Ron and Bill, fortunately they got better.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 28, 2014, 07:04:40 PM
Louder than Words--Pink Floyd

:cool:

I just listened to 'Another Brick in the Wall, Pt2' and thought of Ide from languish.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

have you heard Louder Than Words? Not a bad little swan song
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 28, 2014, 08:10:20 PM

It's not available over here yet, I've just checked on 10th Nov, didn't realise it off a whole new Pink Floyd album, just shows you how out of the loop I am. :D

edit:
Ok Jos, just found it on youtube.  :)

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on October 28, 2014, 08:17:52 PM

It's not available over here yet, I've just checked on 10th Nov, didn't realise it off a whole new Pink Floyd album, just shows you how out of the loop I am. :D

edit:

It's only sort of a new Pink Floyd record. It's mostly instrumental based on a series of jams from the 93 sessions, mostly released as a tribute to Rick Wright.

I've only heard that song so far.
Civis Romanus Sum

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 28, 2014, 09:45:24 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 28, 2014, 08:17:52 PM

edit:

It's only sort of a new Pink Floyd record. It's mostly instrumental based on a series of jams from the 93 sessions, mostly released as a tribute to Rick Wright.

I've only heard that song so far.

Good enough for many of us no doubt.  :cool:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on October 28, 2014, 07:25:51 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 28, 2014, 07:04:40 PM
Louder than Words--Pink Floyd

:cool:

I just listened to 'Another Brick in the Wall, Pt2' and thought of Ide from languish.  :blush:

Do you know another Ide? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Barrett Strong - "Money (That's What I Want)"

Fifty five years later and this still rocks:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeVx1C73o8k  :cool:

This is Motown's seventh single, and the first one that was a nationwide hit.  Berry Gordy tells the story that he had a wife and some girlfriends in the early days of Motown when the company was struggling.  One of them had said she loved him and he came up with the line "Your love gives me such a thrill, but your love won't pay my bills."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Motown followed up "Money" with a surf rock instrumental Nick and the Jaguar's "Ichi Ban #1".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_atDF3H5IfQ

:huh:

No one got it at the time; and I'll admit I have no idea what Berry Gordy was trying to accomplish with this one.

Capetan Mihali

The KLF -- "What Time Is Love?"
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

W.A.S.P. - I Wanna Be Somebody
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

W.A.S.P. - Animal (Fuck Like A Beast)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain