News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: PDH on October 24, 2014, 10:04:34 PM
Focus - Hocus Pocus

For many years that was the encore of many a Marillion gig. They do a great version of it imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_uOyHnHKeQ

PS...I was at this gig.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

mongers

Led Zeppelin 'Achilles' Last Stand'
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Hole - Doll Parts
Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Savonarola

The Swinging Tigers - "Snake Walk":

Before they were called "The Funk Brothers," Motown's house band went by this silly name.  This instrumental from 1959 definitely isn't "The Motown Sound," but it also isn't like the doo-wop Motown was recording at the time; instead it's a wild jazz ride.  It shows what Berry Gordy's band was capable of, even at the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRzyllMExR4

:cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

I've liked most Motown I've ever heard, be it sublime pop music, brilliantly written and performed songs by some of the iconic artists of 20th century American music, yet I own not a single or album of it.  :hmm:

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on October 27, 2014, 04:56:55 PM
I've liked most Motown I've ever heard, be it sublime pop music, brilliantly written and performed songs by some of the iconic artists of 20th century American music, yet I own not a single or album of it.  :hmm:

Heh, my wife has lived in Metro Detroit all her life and never gone to the Motown Museum.

If you're interested, I recommend, from the Detroit Years:

Smokey Robinson - "Going to a Go Go"
Marvin Gaye - "What's Going On"

From the LA Years:

Stevie Wonder  :cool: - "Innervisions"

The first two are great examples of both the early and the late Motown sound respectively.  I don't much care for the LA years, but Stevie :cool: had a number of masterpieces.

Singles collections from Motown can be hit or miss; a lot of them are poorly produced.  They almost always focus on the really big hits and ignore the lesser known stuff.  (Except for the 12 volume boxed sets; but those are out of print.   :()
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Thanks for that Sav, I'll look into those. :cheers:

Yes, I guess poorly produced compilations are an issue, especially with recordings now being to go out of copyright.

garbon

I'd suggest: The Supremes "Where Did Our Love Go"

Which of course is all about big hits with 3 of their iconic songs. -_-

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (album)

So, how many holes does it take to fill the Albert Hall?  :unsure: