News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Average SAT scores based on music taste.

I'm more of a Dvořák man myself, but I do have 3 Sufjan Stevens albums I regularly enjoy listening to. :smarty:

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Like a 1200 is something to be proud of.  :rolleyes:  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 23, 2014, 07:35:39 AM
Like a 1200 is something to be proud of.  :rolleyes:  :P

I just wanted to shame Lil' Wayne. :weep:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

So the quest to redo my CD/mp3 collection, in part prompted by Josephus, is producing strange fruit. Besides hearing music I've not listened to in ages, I've found a lot of CD recordings of my old vinyl collections, and you know what I like the 'sound' of them.

I'm now thinking of finding the turntable and getting some speakers so I can listen to them in the old fashion way. :old.codger:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on October 23, 2014, 02:22:23 PM
So the quest to redo my cd/mp3 collection, in part prompted by Josephus, is producing strange fruit. Besides heaing music I've not listened to in ages, I've found a lot of cd recordings of my old vinly collections, and you know what I like the 'sound' of them. I'm now thinking of finding the turntable and getting some speakers so I can listen to them in the old fasion way. :old.codger:

My brother did that and then he'd go on Amazon and get boxes of singles.  He would get 100 singles for about $5.  Some of them weren't in the best of condition and the music was always a crap shoot, but at nickle a record you can afford to take some chances.  (What he's going to do with all those albums, I don't know.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on October 23, 2014, 02:30:36 PM
So the quest to redo my cd/mp3 collection, in part prompted by Josephus, is producing strange fruit. Besides heaing music I've not listened to in ages, I've found a lot of cd recordings of my old vinly collections, and you know what I like the 'sound' of them. I'm now thinking of finding the turntable and getting some speakers so I can listen to them in the old fasion way. :old.codger:

My brother did that and then he'd go on Amazon and get boxes of singles.  He would get 100 singles for about $5.  Some of them weren't in the best of condition and the music was always a crap shoot, but at nickle a record you can afford to take some chances.  (What he's going to do with all those albums, I don't know.)

Interesting.

I do know that hipsters have latched onto vinyl in a big way, such that if you could be bothered, you could hover up old vinyl in a collectors shops here and sell it in the East End of London (hipster.epicentre) for three times what you paid. I've heard of traders doing this.

Personally I'd keep my vinyl for sentimental reasons, plus there's often a story attached to each one.

Cd's less so or none.  :P

Savonarola

Straight out of Detroit  :cool:

15 of the best Motown songs you've likely never heard

None of the songs in the article are on the level of "My Girl" or "Baby Baby," but there are a lot of good songs in there.  The Marvin Gaye songs are all great as is Tami Terrell's version of "All I Do Is Think About You."  I'm more surprised that Holland-Dozier-Holland wrote "Leaving Here" than that Eddie Holland sang it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

So the quest to redo my CD/mp3 collection, in part prompted by Josephus, is producing strange fruit. Besides hearing music I've not listened to in ages, I've found a lot of CD recordings of my old vinyl collections, and you know what I like the 'sound' of them.

I'm now thinking of finding the turntable and getting some speakers so I can listen to them in the old fashion way. :old.codger:

I still use my turntable and pull out the old vinyl. Much of it is not in particularly good shape and snaps and crackles a lot...but I still like digging them out
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 23, 2014, 06:51:27 PM

I still use my turntable and pull out the old vinyl. Much of it is not in particularly good shape and snaps and crackles a lot...but I still like digging them out

:cool:

Yeah, shall dig out the turntable out of storage, I've one of these dinky little hi-efficiency amps to hand and then just need to aquire/canablise/build some small speakers.   :hmm:

mongers

King Crimson - 'Discipline' - I remember getting this on a tape in the summer holidays, listening to the first time and being amazed at what a revolutionary sound it had.  :cool:

Savonarola

I've been in a Motown mood since yesterday's article.

Berry Gordy first called his record company Tamla after the song Tammy by Debbie Reynolds:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3mtNZFrMY

It's hard to imagine anything further from the Motown sound than that; but Motown singer Tammi Terrell also named herself after the song.

The first single on Tamla was Come To Me by Marv Johnson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzLu_-S79wQ

The song is straight up Doo-Wop, but two of the Funk Brothers, James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin, were already in the band.   :cool:

garbon

Maroon 5 - Runaway
Rihanna - Fading
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on October 23, 2014, 09:49:35 PM
King Crimson - 'Discipline' - I remember getting this on a tape in the summer holidays, listening to the first time and being amazed at what a revolutionary sound it had.  :cool:

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat..
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 24, 2014, 03:42:48 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 23, 2014, 09:49:35 PM

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat..

:D

The Frejus concert film has some nice visual of that performance.