News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

So I signed into Spotify (something I do 2 or 3 times a year) and gave a new to me Deep Purple album from a year ago. 

WTF, I know there's no longer any Jon Lord keyboards ( :( ) , but good grief, that wasn't Ian Gillan either.   :hmm:   

That sorta makes it not actually Deep Purple.   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Petula Clark - 'Downtown'

One for Garbon.  :)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on May 28, 2014, 09:19:16 AM
Quote from: mongers on May 28, 2014, 08:52:04 AM
Petula Clark - 'Downtown'

One for Garbon.  :)

:wub:

Yeah, some of those 60s classics are rather good, I guess she was imagining a fairytale New York when she sung that.

garbon

So I just looked this up on wiki. Apparently it is with regards to NYC though the lyricist thought Times Square was Downtown. Definitely a fairy tale if about Times Square. :D

QuoteIn the autumn of 1964 Hatch had made his first visit to New York City, the purpose being to seek material from music publishers for the artists he was producing. Hatch would recall: "I was staying at a hotel on Central Park and I wandered down to Broadway and to Times Square and, naively, I thought I was downtown. Forgetting that in New York especially, downtown is a lot further downtown getting on towards Battery Park. I loved the whole atmosphere there and the [music] came to me very, very quickly". According to Hatch he was standing on the corner of 48th St waiting for the traffic lights to change, looking towards Times Square when "the melody first came to me, just as the neon signs went on."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

So appropriate when on my way back to the source of everything that is everything.

Joni Mitchell - California

garbon

Correction everything that is anything. :blush:

Ideologue

Frank Larrabee--California Lady.  You might remember the song best from the 10th season MST3K episode, Track of the Moon Beast.  Terrible recording. :( 
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on May 29, 2014, 06:12:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 28, 2014, 07:40:45 PM
Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody

Voluntarily? :huh:

Title wouldn't make sense the other way.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

One of my favourite Hungarian songs. It is from the late 60s/early 70s, kind of like a testimony of hippy values after that era is gone, if you will. Here it is with decent subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdTT9vkLrZ4

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on May 29, 2014, 08:18:42 AM
One of my favourite Hungarian songs. It is from the late 60s/early 70s, kind of like a testimony of hippy values after that era is gone, if you will. Here it is with decent subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdTT9vkLrZ4

The Beetles.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive