News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

The Ryan Adams covers of Nutshell and Down in a Hole. Not bad.

Up next: Kyuss - Green Machine
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Charlie Daniels Band- Devil Went Down to Georgia. You know, I think the Devil really should have won that contest...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

George Gershwin- Rhapsody in Blue

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

On my drive out I listened on CBC to a taped concert of The Big Sea, sort of Irish-y folk music by three guys from the Maritimes.  They sounded pretty good.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2013, 07:30:12 PM
On my drive out I listened on CBC to a taped concert of The Big Sea, sort of Irish-y folk music by three guys from the Maritimes.  They sounded pretty good.

There are a lot of bands out of the Maritimes like that.  My parents listened to Ryan's Fancy (out of Newfoundland) a great deal when I was growing up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owy0__HhQ3U&list=PL3EBC0B18AC4FBDE0

I've read that there are more Scottish Gaelic speakers in Nova Scotia than there are in Scotland.  :scots:  One of my personal favorite Nova Scotia Gaelic singers is Eilidh MacKenzie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQPCv5qukOo
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Went to go see Rancid in Charlotte.  Was pretty sweet.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Miley Cyrus- Wrecking Ball. Seems she's intent on becoming the new Madonna.

DontSayBanana

Went to a 3-act concert last week, and been on a binge of Kamelot albums since then.  Currently listening to the album Epica.

The concert's acts were:

Eklipse - a string quartet from Germany who cover pop/rock songs.  Also appeared during the Kamelot song they originally featured on, My Confession (damned catchy song).  More into playing than working the mic, but they did surprisingly well by the audience with covers of Dead or Alive's "Spin Me Round" and The Eurhythmics' "Sweet Dreams."  Very young for an international tour, and it was kind of cute to see these girls, probably barely out of their teens, with shit-eating grins the whole time they were on stage.

Delain - a splinter group brought together by a former member of Within Temptation, they've got a sound similar to a more mature version of Nightwish.  I really didn't know this group going in, but the songs "Invidia," "We Are the Others," and especially "Get the Devil Out of Me" had me pretty well hooked.

Kamelot - doing pretty well for a band on their third vocalist (their last frontman had an epic meltdown and quit after dragging out his sabbatical for almost a year).  With their newest album, Silverthorn, the new singer (Tommy Karevik) is really coming into his own quickly.  "My Confession" is, as I said, really catchy, especially with the string hook by Eklipse.  "Sacrimony," the album's other single, is also a strong contender; the whole album harkens back to an older album, Epica.  "Veritas" was a welcome addition to the concert; choral backing vocals, more orchestration... only beef S and I had with the concert was that they went a little crazy on the crowd-rapping, but out of the last 4 times I've seen these guys in concert, it was the first time their bandleader looked happy, and I got into the crowd-rapping, even if S complained that I tend to deafen whoever's unlucky enough to be standing next to me. :blush:
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on September 10, 2013, 09:13:41 PM
One of my personal favorite Nova Scotia Gaelic singers is Eilidh MacKenzie:

Nice looking broad. :wub:

That's probably enough Gaelic music for me for 2013.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2013, 07:30:12 PM

Do you mean Great Big Sea?

They've been going for, oh, 20 years now.  In my long-ago club going days there was one song of theirs that would inevitably be played (despite it not being club music in the least) and draw a huge crowd to the dance floor.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2013, 11:58:10 AM
Do you mean Great Big Sea?

Yup.

As an aside, when I first heard the band mentioned I thought they were "Great Big C," some kind of weird patriotic Canadian band.  :D