News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 13, 2013, 03:46:17 AM
Would you consider Boston a prog band or not?

Proto-grunge, maybe, since Nirvana famously modelled their Smells Like Teen Spirit riffs after Boston's More Than A Feeling? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 13, 2013, 03:58:24 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 13, 2013, 03:46:17 AM
Would you consider Boston a prog band or not?

Proto-grunge, maybe, since Nirvana famously modelled their Smells Like Teen Spirit riffs after Boston's More Than A Feeling? :P

Your crazy Kaiser helmet's strapped on too tight.  Boston is shitty 70's/80's beer rock, Rush for Yankees.

Syt

I wasn't entirely serious, as indicated by the  :P smiley. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Drakken

Metric - Youth Without Youth.

Eddie Teach

Merle Haggard- Okie from Muskogee

The Brain

Tom Petty - I Won't Back Down

This one goes out to the Z-man.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on July 15, 2013, 09:00:21 AM
Tom Petty - I Won't Back Down

This one goes out to the Z-man.

:D

NIN- 20 Ghosts

Savonarola

In honor of the Zimmerman trial I listened to "The Chronic."  Some of the lyrics are amusingly dated like:

Got a VCR in the back of my car
That I ganked from the Slauson swap meet

or

Not form Kriss Kross but they call me Mack Daddy

Still it's a great album, with fine lyrics.  I think Eliot Spitzer should end all his speeches with Snoop's line:

And now you hookers and hos know how I feel.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Boston...not prog. I'd classify them under 70s Arena Rock bands...along with Journey, Foreigner, Styx
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Boston as prog?  The mind boggles.  Agree with Jo 100%.  Does not make them not great, much like Journey or Styx (Foreigner is okay).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Whale - Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe :punk:

The Brain

Ed Anger

Monster Magnet - Sin's a good man's brother
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive