And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 01, 2021, 12:06:25 PM
My 2021 according to spotify:

Shirley Scott, David Murray, Emily Remler, Sonny Rollins, Bobby Hutcherson, Art Blakey, John Coltrane, Bokani Dyer, Miles Davis, Eddie Palmieri, Paul Desmond, Horace Silver, Ahmad Jamal, James Brown, Chick Corea, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Ornette Coleman, McCoy Tyner, Tito Puente, Rudresh Mahanthappa, Guillaume de Machaut, JS Bach, Wayne Shorter, A Tribe Called Quest, Teddy Wilson, Henry Purcell, Charlie Christian

At least I got the ethnic diversity covered.

Not enough women though. :thumbsdown:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 08, 2021, 02:12:22 AM

Two of the top three.  Not so easy to get fair representation given the genres.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 08, 2021, 09:31:48 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 08, 2021, 02:12:22 AM

Two of the top three.  Not so easy to get fair representation given the genres.

I would have expected more female Ottoman baroque composers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Jacob Artved Quartet - At Jazzhus Montmarte (2020)

20 year old Danish guitar phenom Artved teams up with 84 year old drummer Louis Hayes (ex Horace Silver, Cannonball Adderley etc). Not sure how that came about but Hayes still in good form.  Also solid work on piano from Jeb Patton
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

The 'Tim Vine Xmas Special'.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Connie Han, Iron Starlet (2020) - 20-something pianist plays her own compositions and others by drummer/producer Bill Wysaske; strong frontline support on trumpet (Jeremy Pelt) and sax (Walter Smith III).  The music is mostly 21st century takes on an array of post-bop forms c. mid-60s to early 80s, with Han shifting from acoustic piano to Fender Rhodes as appropriate.  The marketing is . . .interesting. Album covers for this musical subgenre typically feature abstract art or a photo of the leader at work, whereas this album cover features Han posed draped on her piano in a revealing leather outfit with a raised eyebrow.  It seems to be working to some extent: Han has over 100,000 monthly spotify listeners which is pretty good for a relatively new artist in this niche.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

I was curious, so I googled. Asian chick, too much make-up, 80s hair.

The Minsky Moment

Edmar Castaneda & Gregoire Maret, Harp vs Harp (2019) - Gimmicky concept consisting of (mostly) duos with Castaneda on harp, Maret on harmonica; vocals added on 2 tracks and banjo on another two.  The title is misleading, this is a collaboration not a cutting contest, with Castaneda showcasing the llanera harp's potential as a rhythm instrument.  Liked the lively first track; the rest was solid but didn't quite live up to that promise.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: Syt on December 04, 2021, 07:02:53 AM
Eskimo Callboy have released a new video and it returns to the 80s stylings of their Hypa Hypa clip: https://youtu.be/OnzkhQsmSag

I don't think it's quite as catchy as some of their other recent songs (Hypa Hypa, We got the moves, Love/Hate), but I did get somewhat extracted by the visuals.  :blush: :perv:

I somehow missed it, but they're apparently throwing their hat into the ring to represent Germany at the European Song Contest with this song (which is why it's exactly 3 minutes).  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on January 02, 2022, 07:05:20 AM
Camel--Snow Goose.

:cool:

And so fitting for this wet, overcast Winter weather.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on January 02, 2022, 03:04:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 02, 2022, 08:58:09 AM
Camel--Snow Goose.

Snowy out where I am.  :D

Snowy White?

And maybe I should get some of his albums?  :)

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on January 03, 2022, 12:49:32 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 02, 2022, 03:04:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 02, 2022, 08:58:09 AM
Camel--Snow Goose.

Snowy out where I am.  :D

Snowy White?

And maybe I should get some of his albums?  :)

I never listened to him much. I only know him from his live  work with Pink Floyd and his one big single, Birds of Paradise.
Civis Romanus Sum

Eddie Teach