And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

As always, Springsteen fits very well the bittersweet mixed feelings of travelling from my home in Hungary to my home in England (or vice versa).

Savonarola

Quote from: Tamas on October 19, 2021, 11:26:36 AM
As always, Springsteen fits very well the bittersweet mixed feelings of travelling from my home in Hungary to my home in England (or vice versa).

When I've been to Pueblo, Colorado, the hotel that I've stayed at is near both a steel mill and a race track.  The first time I was there I thought "This is exactly like being in a Bruce Springsteen album."  (I had in mind "Darkness on the Edge of Town", not "Nebraska.")

It could be worse, whenever I used to go to Detroit's east side, near the infamous Packard Plant, pictured here:

I'd put on The Wailer's "Catch a Fire," the opening track "Concrete Jungle" captures the vibe of that part of the city.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Johnny Winter - Johnny Winter (1969)

This covers a large area of Blues and R&B (in addition to his own compositions there are covers of Ray Charles, BB King, Sonny Boy Williamson, Robert Johnson and, in the reissue, Bobby "Blue" Bland) done in Winter's guitar driven Texas blues style (for the most part, there are a couple horn driven songs.)  The results are good; he's a passable blues singer, but his guitar work is extraordinary.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Sly and the Family Stone - Stand! (1969)

Sly and the Family Stone's best album, almost every song is about unity and togetherness.  A number of critics see this as a statement of 60s optimism that would quickly fall apart.  The bands next two studio albums, "There's a Riot Goin' on" and "Fresh" do sound disillusioned and burnt out; although there is a possibility that Sly and his bandmates might have been doing some drugs that may have contributed that (although you could make the case that disillusionment with 60s idealism may have led Sly to turn to hard drugs.)  In any event Stand! is a great album; Sly and the Family Stone at their funky psychedelic soulful best.

Savonarola

Joe Cocker - With a Little Help from my Friends

He did actually write a number of his own songs (with Chris Straiton), but all his big hits were covers.  On this one there's "Feeling Alright" (originally by Traffic) and the title track.  I like the way he does covers; they don't sound like remakes.  Even a Tin Pan Alley classic like "Bye Bye Blackbird" becomes a Joe Cocker blues-gospel number.  (Otis Redding was like that too; "Try a Little Tenderness" is also a Tin Pan Alley standard.)

Josquius

Public Service Broadcastings album is a big step awayfrom their usual archive footage raiding coolness. But.... I kind of like it anyway.
It's strange more do not realise how well German suits beat driven music. Even kraftwerk translated their stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

One of my favorite albums I've been listening to the past few months is Demon Haunted Worlds by 20SIX Hundred. It goes a bit beyond the usual retro synthwave by going for a late 70s/early 80s sci-fi vibe. I would recommend if you like the Stellaris soundtrack, where it would fit in quite seamlessly.

https://20sixhundred.bandcamp.com/album/demon-haunted-worlds
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Joni Mitchell - Clouds (1969)

"Chelsea Morning" and "Both Sides Now" are the best known songs off this one (Judy Collins had a hit with "Both Sides Now" in 1967.)  This one is mostly Joni with her guitar singing confessional songs.  It's nowhere near as sophisticated as "Blue" (just two years later); but it's still a decent album.

She painted the cover (self-portrait with a prairie lily.)

Savonarola

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere (1969)

"Neil Young" (released just five months earlier) had been a misstep; on this one he regains his footing.  This is the first album he recorded with Crazy Horse and it's much more electric guitar driven with a much heavier sound.  Some of the tracks were written when he was still with Buffalo Springfield and the album seems as a bridge between that period of his career and his next two releases (Harvest and After the Gold Rush.)

Josephus

Discovered a new artist this week...well, she's not new; just to me.
She's from the Faroe Islands. Eivor. Some of you may recognize her voice from The Last Kingdom soundtrack.

Listening to her album Slor
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 27, 2021, 05:50:46 AM
She's from the Faroe Islands. Eivor. Some of you may recognize her voice from The Last Kingdom soundtrack.

:cool:

Nice find Jos, I'll check that out.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Phil Ochs - Rehearsals for Retirement (1969)

Perhaps it's not the most obvious comparison, but this reminded me of "The Chronic" by Dr. Dre.  Both albums are tied to a particular time and place (1968 Chicago for Ochs, 1992 LA for Dre.)  Riots loom large in both albums.  Ochs sings about politics and the counter-culture; Dre raps about blunts, theft and killing people - so they were both in the spirit of their respective times  (;)).

Ochs will always be "The other folk singer to come out of the Greenwich Village scene."  His wordplay is clever and he's often funnier than Dylan; but his scope is more limited (even "Pawn in their Game" which indicts society rather than an individual would have been beyond Ochs's ability) and he couldn't pen the standards that Dylan did.  Unlike Dylan, though, Ochs was a true believer in The CauseTM and he never lost faith or moved on.  He really was in Chicago during the 1968 riots and was even a witness at the trial of the Chicago 7. 

crazy canuck

Kate Bush vibes - I can see why you like her  :)

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2021, 12:17:43 PM

Kate Bush vibes - I can see why you like her  :)

In a way, yes. But she's certainly unique as well.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011