News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2021, 08:54:46 PM
I saw Santana live in 1985; they were amazing. They did this super extended jam session for "soul sacrifice" with what appeared to be ten different percussion artists ... it was great. The venue was an outdoor concert, I was with a bunch of guys all of whom were high on large amounts of LSD; we met up with a group of girls, all of whom were also high on large amounts of LSD; it was like the 60s all over again, by teens who never experienced it the first time - for one evening. It was truly an awesome time.

We guys actually met up with the girl group again, a couple of days later, only to discover that when not peaking on Acid and listening to Santana we had ... basically nothing in common. Ah well!

Ah youth  :)

I've always heard Santana puts on a good show, but I've never gotten a chance to see him.  The only Woodstock acts I've seen were Crosby, Stills and Nash; (but by then Stephen Stills had lost his voice) and Arlo Guthrie (who was no worse a singer than he was in the 60s.)  Arlo is a great storyteller and his show was a lot of fun.  He must have been pushing 60 at the time, but he still had groupies in their early 20s.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

On that subject:

Crosby, Stills and Nash - Crosby, Stills and Nash (1969)

A supergroup formed from The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield and... the Hollies  :huh:?

;)

While, at the time, he wasn't as famous as the other two, Graham Nash is an incredible harmonizer and had been chafing in the Hollies for some time.  Once the band rejected "Marakesh" for not being commercial enough and decided to do an album of Dylan covers he had enough.  Unlike many supergroups they did live up to their name; this album and the follow up (Deja Vu) are incredible.  Bands with David Crosby in them tend to spontaneously combust quickly, and this one was no exception.  It's more of a surprise that they lasted as long as they did (and that they kept getting back together on and off for the next 50 years.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

On the subject of disappointing supergroups:

Blind Faith - Blind Faith (1969)

Cream has fallen apart due to conflicting egos.  Traffic has fallen apart due to conflicting egos.  I've got a great idea, let's combine the two groups.

Certainly has its moments, especially "Presence of the Lord" and "Can't Find My Way Home."  On the other hand Ginger Baker's 15 minute jam "Do what you like" while not as bad as "Toad", still is not good.  Of course the band barely survived its first tour.  Clapton was so eager to get out of the limelight that he joined Plastic Ono Band as a sideman and Steve Winwood returned to Traffic (taking the bassist Ric Grech with him.)

The British album cover was controversial at the time:

And rejected in the United States in favor of this cover:

Even today Amazon Prime has the US cover on their streaming service.  (Although the radio station I worked at in college had a print with the British cover, so it may have been released later in the United States (or US promotional copies may have had the British cover.))

Josephus

To each his own.

That Blind FAith album is a classic. I like it. Even Ginger's solo bit.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

What a lovely little song. :)

Rave the Reqviem - Oh, the Joy!
https://youtu.be/nx5446gfb6I

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on July 16, 2021, 07:45:49 AM
The British album cover was controversial at the time:

Similar to the controversy around The Scorpions' Virgin Killer cover which featured a naked 10 year old girl, her naughty bits covered by a "cracked glass" overlay.

The cover is shown on Wikipedia, so click at your own risk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Killer#Artwork
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

I had that Scorpions album with that cover. One day when I moved from my dorm, I found someone had stolen it.  :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

I recently watched a documentary about Haight-Ashbury.  They said that the Summer of Love is when hard drugs started flooding the neighborhood and even though Janis Joplin did the majority of them when the psychedelic sixties passed into the bummer years of the seventies the neighborhood became dangerous and dilapidated.  It revitalized and at the end of the documentary and at the end of the show they tried to play it off as "A neighborhood in search of its identity"; but with the average home costing $1.2 million, I don't think the Hell's Angels are going to be moving back in any time soon.

In the mid-60s Detroit had its own artist district; Cass Corridor located south of Wayne State University.  Just like the Haight, hard drugs moved in at the end of the 60s and the area became one of the worst in the city (which, in Detroit, is no mean feat.)  In time the university bought up the abandoned buildings and no-tell motels and the area and the area, if nowhere near as nice as Haight-Ashbury, has had a comeback.  A few of the Cass Corridor artists achieved regional prominence, but the only ones (that I know of ) to make the national scene was:

The MC5 - Kick out the Jams (1969)

Recorded live at the Grande Ballroom on the most Detroit of holidays, Devil's night (October 30) (and on Halloween as well, to be fair.)  It's a breathtaking experience from beginning to end; wiith the possible exception of some by The Sonics no album had rocked that hard and that loud before.  I'm not entirely sold on their version of "Rambling Rose" and I do wish they had found something better to celebrate than the Detroit riots ("Motor City is Burning1.").  Still those are only minor complaints, this album lives up to its title.

1.) If they had stayed together long enough they could have reworked as "Motor City is Bankrupt".

Savonarola

The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin

It's a tribute to the album is that it's difficult to decide if "Sin City" is meant to be a parody of The Louvin Brothers or an homage.  It's not impossible (or even unlikely) that Graham Parson envisioned a dissolute city where Satan runs a used car lot.

Graham Parson and Chris Hillman left The Byrds to start The Flying Burrito Brothers.  This continues going from where "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" left off adding in elements of gospel, R&B and psychedelia to the Country-Rock mix they had previously defined.  While Country-Rock is not my favorite genre, I don't think anyone ever did it better. 

Savonarola

The Temptations - Cloud Nine (1969)

Norman Whitfield and Barret Strong write an album for Sly and the Family Stone... only to discover that they were under contract with Motown :unsure:.

;)

Otis Williams insists that the title track is not a drug song and that "Cloud Nine" is just a state of mind.  I'm not so sure, but it is really funky; far more akin to James Brown or Sly and the Family Stone than Motown's previous work.  They go even further in that direction in "Runaway Child, Running Wild" where the Funk Brother's (for once) get their due.

Syt

New song and video by Iron Maiden: "The Writing on the Wall":

https://youtu.be/FhBnW7bZHEE

Doesn't really knock me off my feet. Let's see how the album "Senjutsu" is when it comes out later this year.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Al Kooper - I Stand Alone (1969)

Probably better known for the cover:

than anything on it.  Kooper had gotten kicked out of Blood, Sweat & Tears right before their self-titled breakthrough album.  This takes the ideas of BS&T's original album ("Child is the Father of Man"), takes them further and takes them all the way to Memphis (going so far as to record a version of "Blue Moon of Kentucky.")  Some of the compositions are incredible, especially "Western Union Man" and "I can Love a Woman;" but then there's a number of spacey organ jams, sound collages and musique concrète as well.  It doesn't always work together, still I think it's worth a listen.

garbon

I see Spotify has rolled out another data thing which tells you of your top artists, how much of a fan you are (you're in the top x% of spotify listeners for that artist).

Lady Gaga Top 3%
Nicki Minaj Top 3%
Ariana Grande Top 4%
Beyonce Top 6%

I might be gay. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

How does the spotify thing work?  I clicked the link and it told me I wasn't a top fan. It then gave me a top 50 playlist to play with people like Justin Bieber, Ed Sheeran and Billy Eilish.  Are they only tracking top 50 pop artists?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 29, 2021, 03:39:29 PM
How does the spotify thing work?  I clicked the link and it told me I wasn't a top fan. It then gave me a top 50 playlist to play with people like Justin Bieber, Ed Sheeran and Billy Eilish.  Are they only tracking top 50 pop artists?

I believe so as it mentions Today's Top Hits.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.