News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2021, 06:31:17 AM
King Crimson ... Islands.(1971)

A new album and a new lineup again, although this one featured the touring band of the previous album Lizard. Mel Collins's saxophone really stands out on this, perhaps their most jazz-influenced album, especially on the title track. Highlights include the funky Ladies of the Road and the haunting The Letters.
As with previous Crim albums, the band would break up after the recording; although this time it was supposed to be permanent. At least for now.

My brother got me the newest Liquid Tension disc as a gift and It's fecking amazing,
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Today while I was making breakfast Spotify's algorithm decided to play me Fatboy Slim's greatest hits.

It has been a good morning.

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 19, 2021, 01:07:17 AM

A new album and a new lineup again, although this one featured the touring band of the previous album Lizard. Mel Collins's saxophone really stands out on this, perhaps their most jazz-influenced album, especially on the title track. Highlights include the funky Ladies of the Road and the haunting The Letters.
As with previous Crim albums, the band would break up after the recording; although this time it was supposed to be permanent. At least for now.

My brother got me the newest Liquid Tension disc as a gift and It's fecking amazing,

I've listened to their Rhapsody in Blue more often than I care to admit since I posted the link above. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Del Amitri 'Waking Hours' album.

Really enjoyed it, hadn't heard it in several years, perhaps it helped that the Flacs were one's I made from original vinyl, maybe I like the sound of vinyl versions?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Spotify randomly playing I get this song that sounds like Oasis. I can't quite place it so check which it is... It's called Parade by a band called Jazz Fuzz Kid. A modern Japanese band imitating Oasis..... Okeyyyy
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 19, 2021, 01:07:17 AM

Thanks for the tip MIM, on first listening it's ....

Bloody Brilliant.

Tony Levin is a god.  :)

The Brain

Kraftwerk, Die Mensch-Maschine album. Again. It really is insane how they crammed so many classics into one album.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Róisín Murphy - Capable Rhythm
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

ZZ Top - 'Sure Got Cold After The Rain Fell'

PDH

Just listened to ELO's "A New World Record" and "Out of the Blue" back to back.  Two albums released only about a year apart that marked the real high water mark for them - Jeff Lynne was always an overblown, somewhat pompous fan of the big music - but on these two albums it worked quite well, and creatively being able to put so many songs that worked is something special.  These were in successive years summer records that my mom played over and over and became part of my musical foundation.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on June 04, 2021, 09:46:23 PM
Just listened to ELO's "A New World Record" and "Out of the Blue" back to back.  Two albums released only about a year apart that marked the real high water mark for them - Jeff Lynne was always an overblown, somewhat pompous fan of the big music - but on these two albums it worked quite well, and creatively being able to put so many songs that worked is something special.  These were in successive years summer records that my mom played over and over and became part of my musical foundation.

:cool:

Nice to have certain music being the soundtrack to specific times.

Savonarola

Don Cherry - Eternal Rhythm (1969)

No, not that Don Cherry (at least as far as I know.  I don't think they've ever been photographed together :unsure:.)

On first listen this sounds like it was produced by Christopher Walken though substituting pan-flute for cowbell.  Like most free jazz it improves upon repeated listening (although even having heard it a few times I still find myself wondering when the pan-flute solo is going to end.)  It's an interesting album, overflowing with all sorts of wild instrumentation; bells, whistles, xylophones, and pan-flutes are all mixed in with more traditional jazz instruments.  It reminded me a lot of Gato Barbieri's early work; (and I would guess this is where Gato drew inspiration.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

He also sired Eagle-Eye Cherry, who helped us save tonight. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.