News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I was thinking mostly of songs that had charted.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

A trigger warning would have been appreciated.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Syt

Not a fan, either. But they gave an impromptu concert in Vienna when the Ibiza affair broke and people protested for the government to resign. (Their cover of Going to Ibiza was the inofficial theme song of the affair)

https://youtu.be/8sGFjp62LYg
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Metallica's seminal Master of Puppets album was released this month 35 years ago.

We're as far removed from its release as the album was from (*looks at 1951 top 30, recognizes none of the songs, just the artists*) the movies An American in Paris, Quo Vadis, and A Streetcar Named Desire.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2021, 02:15:22 AM
Just learned that Shocking Blue (Venus) were Dutch.  Were there any other Dutch contributions to popular music?

Wasn't Focus Dutch?  You have to have heard Hocus Pocus at least once in your life (and then you'll remember it always).

-Edit- Also, Diesel had a minor hit with Sausalito Summer Nights
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on March 13, 2021, 10:43:57 PM
Wasn't Focus Dutch?  You have to have heard Hocus Pocus at least once in your life (and then you'll remember it always).

Of course I've heard the song, who hasn't?  Had no idea of the band's name and no idea they were Dutch.

Liep

So I YouTubed Hocus Pocus, never heard it before. It's... not good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Yeah, not one I've ever heard, thank you Jesus.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Sounds like they took random songs and just said fuck it let's mix it together. And yodel too, because why not.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2021, 03:31:48 PM
Metallica's seminal Master of Puppets album was released this month 35 years ago.

We're as far removed from its release as the album was from (*looks at 1951 top 30, recognizes none of the songs, just the artists*) the movies An American in Paris, Quo Vadis, and A Streetcar Named Desire.

:o

Though I really discovered it later, but then staying power was always there for those releases.

PDH

Quote from: Liep on March 14, 2021, 02:25:55 AM
So I YouTubed Hocus Pocus, never heard it before. It's... not good.

The early 70s were a different time.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM