News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on February 12, 2021, 05:48:38 PM
Rush...Moving Pictures. 40 years old today. One of the greatest rock albums ever.

:cool:

Yeah listened to it myself just a couple of days ago, has aged well.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

So coming home from my kid's hockey practice yesterday... he mentioned how his music teacher had played some heavy metal for them the other day.  Now I was never really a metal head back in the day, but we rocked out listening to Motorhead, Metallica and Motley Crue on our way home.   :punk:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

BB, let all of Languish know that you are a dood dad! :P

I'm currently enjoying Anaal Naphtrack - Endarkenment.  I really like this song, but the rest of the album is good too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on February 09, 2021, 12:42:07 AM
Myrkur - Folkesange

Black Metal band Myrkur releases a full album of mostly Scandinavian folk with no metal content whatsoever. Lyrics in Danish, Swedish, and English with a mixture of original and traditional compositions. The traditional texts are stronger than the original compositions, IMO, but it all sounds lovely.
I like that band, even though I'm not normally found of BM.  And scandinavian folk music a bit too.  I prefer like folk metal, though, to be honest.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Darth Wagtaros

Home Free's cover of Man of Constant Sorrow.
PDH!

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Frank Sinatra - September of my Years (1968)

An oddity in the "Youthquake" era, Frank's album deals with aging, nostalgia, regret, lost love and his sacroiliac.  He released the album shortly after turning 50; while most of the songs are melancholy, it's not the downer that "In the Wee Small Hours" is.  Unlike most previous Sinatra albums, in this one he's backed by a string section rather than a big band.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Savonarola

Merle Haggard – Mama Tried (1968)

It's not hard to think of The Perfect Country & Western Song ("You Never Even Called Me By My Name") when listening to this.  In the David Allen Coe version he has a little skit about how he told the songwriter, Steve Goodman, that it wasn't the perfect country and western song because it didn't have anything about mama, or trains, or trucks, or prison or getting drunk.  So Steve Goodman wrote him an extra verse:

Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got run over by a damned old train

Merle sings about mama, prison, getting drunk and (usually failed) love affairs.  Knowing Merle's story the songs about prison are touching; especially the semi-autobiographical "Momma Tried" and his version of "Folsom Prison Blues." (Merle saw Johnny Cash when he (Haggard) was incarcerated at San Quentin; something that Haggard credited to helping turn his life around.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Wardruna - Kvitravn

Norse folk music or at least a modern interpretation on the theme.

The Minsky Moment

Charlie Parker Complete Studio Recordings on Savoy (1945-1948)

Normally I don't care much for listening to multiple out-takes but the Parker Savoy and Dial recordings are the exception.  Each tune is just a stripped down intro to set up Parker's solo and every solo is unique from take to take.  These recordings are now 75+ years old but still haven't lost their impact - no one since has ever been quite able to match Bird's fluency and virtuosity at his best. 

Like many wartime era and early postwar recordings, sound quality is variable.  For these ones I ripped CD imports from Japan.  Nippon Columbia owned the rights to Savoy Records for about 20 years and did a last re-release of this set before selling the rights in 2017; they did a pretty good job overall. 

The complete set of Savoy and Dial master takes is streamable on the major platforms.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

I was having a bit of a Pentatonix spree. They're amazing.

Then I listened to their cover of Hallelujah. Also amazing.

Then I watched a few reaction videos of people listening to Hallelujah (Pentatonix, and a couple of Leonard Cohen ones as well). Not super impressed with the takes. I even watched a video of someone purporting to explain the meanings of the text and man... I was not impressed. Just a whole bunch of religious faff, mostly.

Anyways, now I've been listening to a whole bunch of Leonard Cohen. So that's good.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Steven Wilson-- The Future Bites
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011