Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 04, 2021, 09:32:52 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 30, 2021, 09:42:01 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 30, 2021, 06:33:40 AM
Conan the Barbarian (transcribed for Organ) - Philipp Pelster (from the Basil Pouledoris score obviously)

Sunday Mass Vibe  :hmm:

A curiosity, released by the Naxos classical music label (famous for its affordable pricing).
I'll get the OST by Intrada anyways.

:cool:

Daque, now that sounds interesting.

Easy to find on youtube but the CD may be found for cheap as well.

https://youtu.be/3e5eu-NMeUw

Well, ordered the re-release of the somewhat pricy 3CD official version by Intrada, as I said.

:cool:

Duque, thanks for the update;for some reason I've been having trouble with my Naxos account recently.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Jeff Beck - Truth (1968)

It's amusing to see this (and later Beck-Ola) listed as a Jeff Beck album, as the lead singer was none other than Rod Stewart; (and the bassist is Ron Wood.)  At the time, though, Rod and Ron were mostly unknown.  The album is a blues-rock (and includes a couple songs by Willie Dixon) with what was, for the time, a harder sound.  The album is seen by many critics as a precursor to hard rock/heavy metal; and at points it does sound like it comes from an alternative universe where Rod Stewart was the lead singer for Led Zeppelin.  There are some oddities on the album; Rod sings a version of "Ol' Man River" and Beck plays "Greensleeves" and a variation of "Bolero."  Mostly, though, the album is a chance for Beck to showcase his virtuosity.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

McCoy Tyner - Horizon (1979) - collaboration between Tyner and violinist James Blake; overall it works pretty well.  Good support on electric bass from Philly-based Charles Frambrough who would soon go on to stints with Art Blakey and the young Wynton Marsalis, and here lays down muscular lines on tracks 3 and 4. George Adams, a Mingus alumnus and personal favorite, joins on tenor saxophone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I had no idea Jeff Beck was that old.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 05, 2021, 07:19:47 AM
I had no idea Jeff Beck was that old.

:huh:

He's a classic rock musician; they're all baby boomers
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on February 05, 2021, 08:44:17 AM

I think maybe I jumble him and Beck up.

I certainly haven't listened to a lot of Jeff Beck.  Meaning, near zero.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 05, 2021, 08:47:47 AM
Quote from: Josephus on February 05, 2021, 08:44:17 AM

I think maybe I jumble him and Beck up.

I certainly haven't listened to a lot of Jeff Beck.  Meaning, near zero.

He was in The Yardbirds.  Other than that I hadn't heard much by him until I listened to "Truth."  I didn't even know that's where Rod Stewart got his big break.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills (1968)

Clive Davis (president of Columbia records) said that he played their version of "Summertime" for Richard Rogers; who grew so angry that he stormed out and vowed never to write another song. 

My personal favorite Janis Joplin album, in addition to "Summertime" it has "Piece of my Heart" and an incredible version of Big Momma Thorton's "Ball and Chain."  (A live version of the song is in "Monterey Pop.") 

The last two songs were recorded live at Detroit's Grande Ballroom.  At the time it was Detroit's premier rock venue; but like much of Detroit it fell into hard times post riot.  The club closed in 1972 and the building still exists but is badly dilapidated.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on February 05, 2021, 11:58:58 AM
Clive Davis (president of Columbia records) said that he played their version of "Summertime" for Richard Rogers; who grew so angry that he stormed out and vowed never to write another song. 

I didn't realize that Rogers felt that strongly about Gershwin.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Google Play Music - if anyone has bought or upload music to the service, it's available to download for one remaining week, after Feb 12th it's off-line for good.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

King Crimson: In the Court of the Crimson King. (1969).
For some, this would be the only King Crimson album they'd heard of, featuring the roaring 21st Century Schizoid Man and the classic rock staple title track. It also features one of my all time favourite songs Epitath. And though, in my opinion, slightly marred by the lengthy improv bit on Moonchild; this ranks as one of the greatest albums of all time--maybe even of King Crimson.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on February 06, 2021, 12:16:21 PM
For some, this would be the only King Crimson album they'd heard of, featuring the roaring 21st Century Schizoid Man and the classic rock staple title track. It also features one of my all time favourite songs Epitath. And though, in my opinion, slightly marred by the lengthy improv bit on Moonchild; this ranks as one of the greatest albums of all time--maybe even of King Crimson.

It is one of the all-time greats.

You might enjoy "Is Satan Real?" by Church of the Cosmic Skull - I've been listening to that obsessively while drawing, lately. 😄 Check out the track "Mountain Heart".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Cream - Wheels of Fire (1968)

Overlong and overindulgent, but with many flashes of brilliance.  The album is divided into a studio disc and a live disc.  Clapton playing is even better than Blues Breakers or Disraeli Gears; so maybe he can be forgiven for letting the solos drag on forever.  Jack Bruce pens a number of great songs, especially "White Room."  Ginger Baker, on the other hand, turns in albums two dead spots, the half baked Wind in the Willowseque "Pressed Rat and Warthog" and the 15 minute drum solo ( :yucky:) "Toad." 

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on February 06, 2021, 12:23:22 PM

You might enjoy "Is Satan Real?" by Church of the Cosmic Skull - I've been listening to that obsessively while drawing, lately. 😄 Check out the track "Mountain Heart".

I'll give it a listen
Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on February 06, 2021, 12:23:22 PM

Had a listen. Nice, good 70s vibe going there. Cross between prog and glam rock, I think.
Civis Romanus Sum