News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

I keep trying to listen to Ghosteen (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds). It's one of the few albums I have trouble listening to - not because it is too bad, but because it is too good at what it does.

It is a devastatingly accurate rendition of the emotions of grief. If you have ever done any grieving, it is hard to listen to. Particularly the last track, "Hollywood".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 26, 2021, 05:08:38 PM
Duque, remember this one? https://youtu.be/y84gW_5ZFKE

Or this one? https://youtu.be/U2zv7xzAt0U  :lol:

Wacken 2004? That old?  :o
I feel like Mambo Kurt was a couple years ago only. Mayhem is more distant in memory for some reason.  :hmm:

PS: with Mambo Kurt's intro about the best Bossa Nova band in Germany, Rammstein!

Duque de Bragança

Conan the Barbarian (transcribed for Organ) - Philipp Pelster (from the Basil Pouledoris score obviously)

Sunday Mass Vibe  :hmm:

A curiosity, released by the Naxos classical music label (famous for its affordable pricing).
I'll get the OST by Intrada anyways.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 30, 2021, 06:33:40 AM
Conan the Barbarian (transcribed for Organ) - Philipp Pelster (from the Basil Pouledoris score obviously)

A curiosity, released by the Naxos classical music label (famous for its affordable pricing).

:cool:

Daque, now that sounds interesting.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Louis Armstrong Town Hall Concert 1947

Armstrong presents a bit of a problem; his 1920s Hot Five and Sevens recording are the ur text for all subsequent American music and his celebrity status casts a long shadow.  But the 30s were a kind of lost decade, playing pop tunes in a big band format that never really suited him. When the war ended and most big bands had folded, Armstrong reformed a small group and began playing jazz tunes again, fueling a comeback that lasted the rest of his career.  The knock was that he didn't get up to speed with the times and kept playing the same standards from the 20s in pretty much the same way, as compared to a contemporary like Coleman Hawkins who kept updating his style and spent his middle age playing on records with guys like Monk and Coltrane.

But the response to the criticism is the energy and skill and joy of his playing in this concert - it may have been old fashioned even back then, but then and since no one could play like that, no one could sing like that, no could entertain like that. 

The one hitch is that like many 40s era recordings the sound quality is not ideal.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

The Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun (1968)

The original producer quit after Bob Weir asked him to record "Thick air" leaving the Dead to produce their own album.  The results are one of a kind.  It's sort of a live show, sort of a studio album, sort of a music collage as they spliced together studio sets, live shows and electronic noise with mad abandon.  It's not bad (and very much in the spirit of the times), but it does suffer from the same problems as most Grateful Dead albums before "Workingman's Dead," the jams are wa-a-a-ay too long and the vocal tracks are muddy. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Harry Nilsson - Aerial Ballet (1968)

There are two big hits on this album "Everybody's Talking At Me" (the version that's in "Midnight Cowboy" :alberta:) and the original version of "One" (which would be a hit for Three Dog Night.)  The rest of the album manages to somehow be avant garde easy listening music.  It's sort of pop-psychedelia, like a collaboration between Burt Bacharach and the Zombies; except the songs are things like a heartfelt love song written to his desk.  Even by the standards of 1968 this one is a little weird.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Sonny Rollins & Don Cherry Live at the Village Gate (1962)

If Louis Armstrong represents one musical pole, Cherry represents the other.  They both played cornet, but Cherry more often than not played a "pocket cornet" which looked more like a child's toy. Cherry's range was limited and critics knocked him for flubbing notes on solos.  But he had a good sense of rhythm and a knack for improvising little themes on the spot which made him a favored collaborator for leaders -notably Ornette Coleman - seeking to break from the harmonic constraints of the postwar bebop style. Sonny Rollins wasn't much like Ornette Coleman but Cherry's supportive role here is similar and Rollins really let's loose on his solos, while still staying within accepted tonality. The underrated Billy Higgins - the Where's Waldo of jazz drummers c 1960-85, provides the rhythmic glue to hold it alll together.

Three edited songs from a live performance at the Village Gate were released in 1962 under the title Our Man in Jazz, enough to get a taste but just a taste.  However, it turns out the entire 4 day club date was taped and just never released until 2015 when a no-name label based in Spain released a full 6 CD set. This presents a bit of an ethical dilemma as it is not  entirely clear how the label got access to the tapes (the sound quality is good) or what rights they had to publish, a concern reinforced by the bargain price for the set ($24 for 6 CD box).  Normally I pass on these kinds of releases, but this material has never been released in any form and may never be again - so it's the only way to hear it.  My bargain with my conscience was to get it but pledge to buy a later version with more clear provenance if it is released.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Listing to "Is Satan Real?" By the Church of the Cosmic Skull. Perfect music by which to draw demons on playing cards! 😄

My favorite tracks are "Mountain Heart" and "Evil in your eye".

Not sure how to categorize the music. Prog plus a really twisted injection of gospel? Anyway, I enjoy it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on February 02, 2021, 05:46:04 PM
Rush--A Farewell to Kings

Did you hear the Welsh dawn chorus in the background?  :P

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on February 03, 2021, 07:40:31 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 02, 2021, 05:46:04 PM
Rush--A Farewell to Kings

Did you hear the Welsh dawn chorus in the background?  :P

:D

I listened to the whole album. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Just came across an excellent music documentary on netflix:

'ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band From Texas'

Well worth a viewing.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on January 30, 2021, 09:42:01 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 30, 2021, 06:33:40 AM

:cool:

Daque, now that sounds interesting.

Easy to find on youtube but the CD may be found for cheap as well.

https://youtu.be/3e5eu-NMeUw

Well, ordered the re-release of the somewhat pricy 3CD official version by Intrada, as I said.