News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Listening to the album "Is Satan Real?" By the Church of the Cosmic Skull. It's very good! Especially "Mountain Heart".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on October 06, 2020, 02:50:31 PM"Is Satan Real?"

Was Robert Johnson the greatest blues guitarist of all time?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Shirley Brown - You Ain't Woman Enough To Take My Man
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Oh dear Gordon Haskell, one time member of King Crimson and other proggy groups has died.  :(

He was also a regularly on the local club and pub scene hereabouts for a long time until recent years.

I'm going to listen to his 'Hambledon Hill' solo album.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on October 20, 2020, 06:52:48 AM
Oh dear Gordon Haskell, one time member of King Crimson and other proggy groups has died.  :(

He was also a regularly on the local club and pub scene hereabouts for a long time until recent years.

I remember you metnioned that he used to hang out at your local once.

Shame. I actually don't know any of his stuff, other than his work with Crimson. So I'll listen to Lizard tonight
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

I'm trying to think of a 90s rap song with the line "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired". Google is no help. Anyone remember it?

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 21, 2020, 09:48:55 AM

I remember you metnioned that he used to hang out at your local once.

Shame. I actually don't know any of his stuff, other than his work with Crimson. So I'll listen to Lizard tonight

Yes, and I wonder what's happened to all the other acts during lockdown.

Good choice of music.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Sons of Kismet, Your Queen is a Reptile (2018)

British jazz group with Caribbean and Afrobeat influences.  Apparently they don't think much of the Windsors. The track titles propose various alternatives, most but not quite all would give E2 stiff competition (personally not sold on HRH Angela Davis).  As to the music, was on the fence until track 3 (Queen Harriet Tubman) delivered the best interaction I've heard between sax and tuba since Arthur Blythe and James Newton on "Down San Diego Way" from Lenox Avenue Breakdown (1979). Fun, exuberant album - would love to see these guys live.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Sorry to hear, especially that you enjoyed his music at your local area clubs. Reminds me of a local group that plays in Boston and other local clubs, Drop Kick Murphies. Not sure if I have the name right as I haven't thought of them in a long while.

Eddie Teach

I have heard of those guys.

Listening to Shipping up to Boston rn.

garbon

James Brown - Papa's Got a Brand New Bag
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Been listening to random Tchaikovsky compositions today.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 08, 2020, 02:49:43 PM
Been listening to random Tchaikovsky compositions today.

Whoa, very nice.

I'm listening to a whole-day video conference on some business matters :). Very exciting.