And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

The Butthole Surfers- Pepper
"They were all in love with dying, they were doing it in Texas."  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 29, 2020, 02:14:40 PM
The Butthole Surfers- Pepper
"They were all in love with dying, they were doing it in Texas."  :hmm:

It is as good a place as any to be drinkin' from a fountain that was pourin' like an avalanche comin' down a mountain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Ah, Butthole Surfers. One of my old favourites.

As it turns out, good music for convincing your in-laws you are a complete degenerate. 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Roy Harper: The Unknown Soldier
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

mongers

Testing me new radio, turned it on and Donna Summers' 'I Feel Love' came blasting out, what a classic disco anthem.

Took me back to the time when the way to find new music was read Melody Maker/Sounds and listen to the FM/AM radio.
What's today's equivalent? - Youtube and Spotify playlsts/stations??
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

I get a lot of my new music from YouTube videos.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Does anyone know if La Mer or Beyond the Seas came first?

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2020, 06:07:19 AM

Debussy's La Mer or Bobby Darin's Beyond the Sea?  Debussy came first.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps (1979)

(Yes, he named his album after a Rustoleum slogan.)

The first side is acoustic, the second is electric; and Neil's lyrics are even more implementable than usual (from what I've read they deal with mortality, time travel, CSNY and the attractiveness of welfare mothers) so inevitably this will lead to comparisons with Bob Dylan's "Bringing it All Back Home."  I think that's apt, like BIABH this is a big change, but one that really works out well.  Young was influenced by the Sex Pistols, but his attempt to write a punk song "Sedan Delivery" really doesn't work out.  On the other hand the lo-fi heavily distorted "Hey Hey, My My (into the Black)" is incredible.  It would be a decade before there was grunge, but you can almost hear it on that song.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Oexmelin

La Mer was written by Charles Trenet in 1945. He recorded it in 1946. Its English version, 'Beyond the Sea' appeared apparently in 1947. The Bobby Darrin version is 1959, IIRC. The slightly disco Julio Iglesias version (at the end of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) is 1976.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Dang, Bobby Darrin's version was even the first English version. :o

Syt

The version by Django Reinhardt is etched indelibly into my brain thanks to Bioshock. Though I think they also used the Bobby Darrin one.

https://youtu.be/tgNQ4FR6Me8
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Ke$ha - TiK ToK

"But the party don't stop, no" :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 31, 2020, 04:53:04 PM

La Mer was written by Charles Trenet in 1945. He recorded it in 1946. Its English version, 'Beyond the Sea' appeared apparently in 1947. The Bobby Darrin version is 1959, IIRC. The slightly disco Julio Iglesias version (at the end of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) is 1976.

The song is the same but the Jack Lawrence lyrics are very different from the Trenet lyrics.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson