News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Toots and the Maytals - Funky Kingston :smoke:

Contains most of their best known works: Funky Kingston, Pomps and Pride, Pressure Drop and, admittedly, Country Road (the last is no worse that Eric Clapton's version of "I Shot the Sheriff"), but even the fill is pretty cool.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure? (2020)

Disco Lives!  This album seems to come from a parallel universe where Disco Demolition Night never happened, Studio 54 was never shut down and Donna Summer was still releasing hit albums eight years after her death (Tupac and Otis Redding did it, why not her?) 

It's not bad.  It does like a Donna Summer album from the golden age of disco; and Ware does have the voice to pull it off.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Aretha Franklin - Aretha Now (1968)

A bit short (clocking in at about 30 minutes) but showcases the Queen at her prime.  "Think" is the big hit on this one (I still imagine John Belushi and Dan Akroyd dancing to the "Freedom" chant on that one.)  "Say a Little Prayer," "I can't see myself Leaving You,"  and "See-Saw" are the other singles.  She also does covers of "Night Time is the Right Time" and "You Send Me."

Savonarola

Sweetwater - Sweetwater (1968)

Sort of a psychedelic-funk-baroque-pop-electronica-fusion mixture with some Latin rhythms thrown in for good measure.  It doesn't all gel together, to the point that it's easy to spot the influences.  It's not bad (though the lyrics are certainly a product of their times); but it's nowhere near as good as the bands they were trying to imitate.  Still they get points for versatility; they may have gone on to become great, but their lead singer was in a car accident and got brain damage and a damaged vocal cord about a year after this was released.  They did have a few other albums, but never really managed to have anything surpass their debut.

Sweetwater was scheduled to go on first at Woodstock, but got stuck in traffic.  Richie Havens went on first instead, and he had to play so long (in order to stall so other musicians could arrive) that he ran out of material.  He did an extemporaneous version of "Motherless Child" that turned out fantastic.  He probably didn't realize it but "Motherless Child" was Sweetwater's only hit off this album; so even he managed to overshadow Sweetwater.

The Minsky Moment

Joel Ross - Kingmaker (2019)

Young (20s) vibraphronist.  I'm always in the market for good vibes player and Ross definitely has the chops.  Another good young drummer on this I'd never heard of before - Jeremy Dutton out of Texas.  The interplay between Ross and Dutton makes the album.  Very solid effort - will be watching for more in the future.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

TIL "The Chicks" have forsaken Dixie.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Rilo Kiley - Does He Love You?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Bob Dylan - Spanish Is The Loving Tongue

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Taylor Swift - folklore

Produced by The Nationals Aron Dessner and partly by Bon Iver. Can I now finally keep my indie cred while admitting to liking Taylor Swift? :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Quote from: Liep on July 24, 2020, 04:02:27 AM
Taylor Swift - folklore

Produced by The Nationals Aron Dessner and partly by Bon Iver. Can I now finally keep my indie cred while admitting to liking Taylor Swift? :P

So I'm listening to this too and I'm in the same boat.  :lol:

This album is actually pretty good y'all need to listen  :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on July 24, 2020, 04:02:27 AM
Taylor Swift - folklore

I maintain my indie cred by only liking the early Taylor Swift.   :secret:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I still maintain that Annie Lennox's Walking on Broken Glass video with Hugh Laurie and John Malkovich is, essentially, Blackadder the Third/Dangerous Liaisons crossover fan fiction. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y25stK5ymlA
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.