News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Carly Simon - Coming Around Again
Bette Midler - From A Distance
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 24, 2020, 04:05:56 PM
Sav - I have nothing against Alice in principle or as a musician but for me Coltrane with Tyner is Thanksgiving without turkey.

Anyways, if you dig Alice Coltrane and late period JC, Jamie Saft is a self-described Alice disciple - Ticonderoga (2015) was a kind of tribute album to the Second VV Coltrane session, and Hidden Corners (2019) also evokes the Alice sound.  Hidden Corners has become one of my recent favorites and it's not as "difficult" as Ticonderoga although if you've listened to Brotzmann you can handle both.

Saft also had a release where Iggy Pop did some guest vocals - Loneliness Road (2017) - I'd recommend that one to everyone.

You sure he doesn't mean he's a disciple of her spiritual teachings?  :unsure:

;)

I did listen to Ticonderoga; I enjoyed it, but I didn't think his piano sounded very much like Alice's (at least not what was on "Monastic Trio.")
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2020, 10:28:47 AM

Rockwell- Somebody's Watching Me
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Roland Kirk - The Inflated Tear (1968)

"When I die I want them to play "Black And Crazy Blues". I want to be cremated, put in a bag of pot and I want beautiful people to smoke me and (I) hope they get something out of it," - Roland Kirk

Roland Kirk is best known for his ability to play two (sometimes three) saxophones at once.  If I didn't know that I would have assumed there were multiple saxophonists and a separate clarinet/flute/whistle player on this album.  This is largely a melancholy, bluesy affair with a good cover of Duke Ellington's "Creole Love Song."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 01, 2020, 05:12:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2020, 10:28:47 AM

Rockwell- Somebody's Watching Me

God...thanks for the horrible 80s songs flashback.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on May 01, 2020, 01:49:45 PM
Roland Kirk is best known for his ability to play two (sometimes three) saxophones at once. 

Also for using a "circular" breathing technique allowing him to play long durations without stopping.  Also for doing a club routine with a young Jay Leno based the premise that the blind Kirk didn't realize Leno was white. And for lots of other stuff . . . I have a DVD of one of his performances, he had great stage presence.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Tom Harrell, Infinity (2019)

Quartet where piano is replaced by mellow electric guitar. Paired with Harrell's introspective, Miles Davis-influenced style, this risks stagnation, but energy is supplied by Jonathan Blake on drums.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

Kinda drunk now, cause that's what us unemployed people do.

Listening to Yes: Close to the Edge.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on May 10, 2020, 04:43:19 PM

Jose, I'll join you in drowning one's sorrows with that great album.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on May 10, 2020, 05:56:56 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 10, 2020, 04:43:19 PM

Jose, I'll join you in drowning one's sorrows with that great album.  :bowler:

thanks
Civis Romanus Sum

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Kinda in the mood for some 70s electronica: listening to Oxygene, Jean-Michel Jarre.

Very atmospheric!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.