Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2019, 12:24:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2019, 10:16:40 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2019, 06:18:43 AM
Sabaton - Rise of Evil (from Primo Victoria)

:punk:

It's truly history geek metal, I love it. They do a series of history video clips now!  :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaG4CBbZih6nLzD08bTBGfw

It is the guy from the Great War channel! Cool!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Speaking of history geek metal - Iced Earth's Gettysburg trilogy is quite good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCSMK2dSUh4
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

I just listened to The National's new album I Am Easy To Find and it's easily already album of the year. Just stop all music for the rest of the year. This is as good as music gets.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 17, 2019, 08:26:55 AM
I just listened to The National's new album I Am Easy To Find and it's easily already album of the year. Just stop all music for the rest of the year. This is as good as music gets.

:console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Never knew that history geek metal was a "thing". Loving the recommendations.  :D

Still enjoying Sabaton too - Carolus Rex. I mean, how could anyone not love an entire concept album about Swedish involvement from the Thirty Years War through the Great Northern War?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on May 17, 2019, 08:47:28 AM
Never knew that history geek metal was a "thing". Loving the recommendations.  :D

Historic subjects have long been popular in metal. Iron Maiden have been quite prolific:
Alexander the Great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oTEQf1d9Iw
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on May 17, 2019, 08:47:28 AM

Still enjoying Sabaton too - Carolus Rex. I mean, how could anyone not love an entire concept album about Swedish involvement from the Thirty Years War through the Great Northern War?  :lol:

Just came across this one wiki with regard to the 991 battle of Maldon between the Saxons and Vikings:

The English black metal band Winterfylleth have two songs in their album The Ghost of Heritage (2008) that remembers the Battle of Maldon (track 2: "The March to Maldon" (03:46) and track 3: "Brithnoth: The Battle of Maldon (991 AD)" (7:38)).

The Norwegian / German symphonic metal band Leaves' Eyes has a song called The Battle of Maldon on their 2009 EP, My Destiny.

I have the later track and it's quite a good song.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

New albums by Fleshgod Apocalypse and Deathspell Omega :wub:
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Syt

I don't know. :unsure:

I would recommend Fleshgod Apocalypse to anyone who likes metal mixed with orchestral sounds. A good introduction is this charming little tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKyzwqIT7s
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Ruined by the vocals imo.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?