Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2019, 09:47:48 PM
Your son??  I figured you were a brain floating in a tank somewhere.  :D

Maybe not a brain in a tank, but I had no idea Minsky had kids. :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Plasmatics - Put Your Love In Me :punk:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth. 

Nice to hear DLR back with them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

The Black Crowes - 'She Talks To Angels'

PDH

Warren Zevon - My Shit's Fucked Up
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

I've not been following the Eurovision Song Contest in years, but this year's Icelandic entry is ... uhm ... interesting. :D

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47536433

"Eurovision: Iceland embraces Hatari's bleak message for Israel contest"

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVbShUW6QBM

Translation of the lyrics:

Hate will prevail

The revelry was unrestrained
The hangover is endless
Life is meaningless
The void will get us all

Hate will prevail
Happiness comes to an end
For it is an illusion
A treacherous pipe dream

All that I saw
Tears ran down
All that I gave
Once gave
I gave it all to you

Multilateral delusions
Unilateral punishments
Gullible poor fellows
The escape will end
The emptiness will get us all

Hate will prevail
Europe will crumble
A web of lies
Will arise from the ashes
United as one

All that I saw
Tears ran down
All that I gave
Once gave
I gave it all to you

All that I saw
Tears ran down
All that I gave
Once gave
I gave it all to you

Hate will prevail
Love will die
Hate will prevail
Happiness comes to an end
For it is an illusion
A treacherous pipe dream
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2019, 05:55:01 AM
I've not been following the Eurovision Song Contest in years, but this year's Icelandic entry is ... uhm ... interesting. :D

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47536433

"Eurovision: Iceland embraces Hatari's bleak message for Israel contest"

Heh, reading the article, they are like a right-wing caricature of European leftists.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

More Billi Higgins . . .

Dexter Gordon, Go (1962): Sound engineer Rudy van Gelder was (in)famous for not aiming at some ideal of fidelity, but rather trying to capture the experience of a club performance.  This is one of his best, really captures the intimacy of Gordon's playing. There is a little awkwardness between Higgins and pianist Sonny Clark but Higgins is nicely in sync with Gordon.

Andew Hill, Dance with Death (rec 1968 rel 1980): Listener friendly album of original compositions pianist Hill, as least as compared to his some of his more difficult earlier work (e.g. Point of Departure). Higgins nicely navigates the rhythmic complexity of Hill's music. Unfortunately, Blue Note records was not doing so well in '68 and was basically a soul jazz shop by then. Hill was not a huge seller, so this album didn't see an actual release until 1980.

Charles Lloyd, Which Way is East (rec 2001 rel 2004): Higgins' last recorded performance before his death and probably his most unusual, a series of duets with multi-reedist Lloyd in which they perform Native American chants, Tibetan and Middle Eastern folk songs, bossa nova, and various improvised music.  Higgins sings, plays guitar, a Mabreghian lute and about a dozen percussion instruments from different countries and cultures.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on March 29, 2019, 04:20:02 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2019, 07:50:35 PM
Camel 'Rain Dances'

Nice.

Yes, but why haven't I listened to this in years?

I prompted my to buy a remastered copy of A Live Record, as i've only the original vinyl.  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1OOQP1-wOE

Very trippy video of Brain Damage I had never seen before.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp7j3ji5U24

Whoa, headrush man.  60,000 people sing Bohemian Rhapsody.