Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Drowning Pool- Bodies
RATM- Killing in the Name
House of Pain- Jump Around
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Kate Bush - Cloudbusting
No Doubt - Total Hate '95
Robyn - Missing U
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Cambodian Rocks - various artists. Surprisingly good early 70s music, from a doomed generation.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Soft Cell - Say Hello, Wave Goodbye
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

I read the following article in the Smithsonian:  Before the 'Baby Shark' Song Made the Hot 100, 'Silly Symphonies' Were All the Rage.  It was written assuming the reader was familiar with the Baby Shark song and unfamiliar with the Silly Symphony cartoons.  I'm a huge fan of Silly Symphonies and had never heard of the Baby Shark song - so I was feeling old and out of touch.   :(  Then I listened to the Baby Shark song and felt much, much better about being old and out of touch.   :) 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on January 27, 2019, 11:41:17 AM
Cambodian Rocks - various artists. Surprisingly good early 70s music, from a doomed generation.

I got that several years ago on your recommendation.  That is a really good album; so thanks for the recommendation.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on January 27, 2019, 06:58:32 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 27, 2019, 11:41:17 AM

I got that several years ago on your recommendation.  That is a really good album; so thanks for the recommendation.

You may be interested to know that the album inspired a rather good documentary.

"Filmmaker John Pirozzi received a copy of the album while in Cambodia filming City of Ghosts and began researching the stories of the artists. Eventually, he tracked down material to create Don't Think I've Forgotten, a 2015 documentary about pre-Khmer Rouge Cambodian music which takes its name from a Sinn Sisamouth song."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian_Rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipq4FefX5Ps
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Eddie Teach

Blackpink- Whistle, Boombayah, As if it's your last

Malthus

The Minsky Moment

Kamasi Washington - Heaven And Earth (2018)

You can't fault the man for lack of ambition - the first recording he ever released under this name was a 3+hour triple CD album modestly entitled "The Epic". This one contains a mere 2.5 hours of music, by a core nonet, supplemented by multiple lead vocalists, a full choir, a backing orchestra, and dozens of other "additional" musicians and vocalists.

Hard to categorize the results, but one thing Washington is doing is taking the lost decade of the 70s and putting back into the center of the jazz tradition. As in example, the first track is a cover of the theme song to the Bruce Lee movie "Fists of Fury", but layered on top of an early 70s funk beat, trading off blistering instrumental solos, soaring choir parts, and a badass Sam Jackson-style testifying voice over.  If it works for you, the rest of the album is worth a listen, if not skip it.

I'm not really sold on Washington as a saxophone player, but the album is a fun listen.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

garbon

Savonarola

Eddie Teach

I think Ryan finally broke down and played Summer of 69 though.