News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

I browse Pop Matters, but it is far from ideal.  The coverage is at the mercy of what the writers care to cover and I'm not sure they have any editors on the articles, but I usually find something interesting once a week or so.

Eddie Teach

It takes less time to just listen to a song than read an article about it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 18, 2019, 05:25:06 PM

:console:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

AnchorClanker

Die Lustige Witwe - John Eliot Gardner, conductor.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Savonarola

Quote from: frunk on January 18, 2019, 04:55:34 PM
I browse Pop Matters, but it is far from ideal.  The coverage is at the mercy of what the writers care to cover and I'm not sure they have any editors on the articles, but I usually find something interesting once a week or so.

Thanks, Frunk, the article recommended "Pitchfork", I'll give both of them a go.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Well, at least you didn't pull out "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on January 19, 2019, 06:09:35 PM

Well, at least you didn't pull out "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

That criticism doesn't have anything to do with the decline of music magazines. The fact you can listen to almost anything for free on demand probably does. They're no longer useful shopping guides.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Just saw Liz Phair is coming to play in my neighborhood this year! :w00t:

Liz Phair - Fuck and Run
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Genesis--Selling England by the Pound
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

I was listening to a podcast about music appreciation.  The instructor got to John Cage and told a story about his teacher, Arnold Schoenberg, told him that he would never be a great composer because he had no ear for harmony.  Schoenberg said that he would never be able to tunnel through the wall from competent to great.  So Cage said that he'd beat his head against the wall; which he did, and then scored it, and called it a concerto.

:P ;)

Actually that isn't too far from the truth; Cage took the beating his head against the wall as a metaphor for the sort of sonic experimentation music that he was to make.  Even after Cage had become established, Schoenberg still insisted he had no ear for harmony and was just an innovator, not a composer.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on January 24, 2019, 03:10:00 PM
I was listening to a podcast about music appreciation.  The instructor got to John Cage and told a story about his teacher, Arnold Schoenberg, told him that he would never be a great composer because he had no ear for harmony.  Schoenberg said that he would never be able to tunnel through the wall from competent to great.  So Cage said that he'd beat his head against the wall; which he did, and then scored it, and called it a concerto.

:P ;)

Actually that isn't too far from the truth; Cage took the beating his head against the wall as a metaphor for the sort of sonic experimentation music that he was to make.  Even after Cage had become established, Schoenberg still insisted he had no ear for harmony and was just an innovator, not a composer.

Schoenberg wasn't wrong ...  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on January 24, 2019, 03:56:24 PM
Schoenberg wasn't wrong ...  :lol:

No he wasn't, I just thought it was funny; especially the part about Schoenberg calling him "Just an innovator" since Schoenberg was such an innovator himself.

Schoenberg did seem to get outshone by his pupils; Berg and Webern are at least as well known as he is.  Cage is probably much better known; if only for 4'33.

Syt

I work in the building where the Arnold Schönberg Center/Museum is located. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2019, 05:40:07 PM
I work in the building where the Arnold Schönberg Center/Museum is located. :)

:cool:

From Schönberg on, for every composer (except Copland, Bartok and maybe John Adams) that the professor introduced, she'd preface it with "Now keep an open mind as you listen to this..."

Before listening to the lectures I didn't know Schönberg was also a painter:

Savonarola