News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - BBC Sessions.

Nearly all from 1967, I don't think from the very height of their powers, but nice versions of Drivin' South, Manic depression and Hey Joe. 

Stevie Wonder demonstrates he wasn't much of a drummer, so glad he didn't give up the day job.

Album worth the purchase for the CD cover alone:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

I listen a lot to Sirius music stations. A huge assortment of stations to choose from, featuring all sorts of music. Some stations have music that's not often heard on conventional radio stations. The sound is much better than regular radio as well.

I do like contemporary music but I can't warm up to rap. 

garbon

Mahalia - I Wish I Missed My Ex
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Charlie Rouse/Red Rodney - Social Call (1984)

Still more Albert Dailey . . .

The headliners here are two musicians best known for their associations with others. Rouse was the longtime sax player for Thelonious Monk during Monk's Columbia Records period. Rodney became famous as Charlie Parker's trumpet player/gofer/protege; Parker favored him to the point that he insisted Rodney tour with him in the segregated South, where the Jewish Rodney performed under the name "Albino Red"

After Parker's death, Rodney slipped into a life of drug addiction and not-so-petty crime, including a notorious incident where he impersonated a prominent general, penetrated a military base, and made off with thousands in payroll money and top secret documents.

By the 80s Rodney was mostly dried out enough to make a comeback.  He and Rouse play it pretty straight for the most part. The album is carried by a strong rhythm section including Dailey, along with Cecil McBee and Kenny Washington, both highly in demand during that period.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

You have a dirty mind. She just wants to snuggle with her cat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Jethro Tull - Songs From the Wood
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011