And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

George Strait - Wish You Well

Malthus

A friend recently introduced me to a Canadian band, Corb Lund.

I told him I generally disliked country music, he said "listen to this":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWINsaEpnw

I thought it was great stuff - something history obsessed Languishites might like.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Their 'I want to be in the Cavalry Song' was hilarious and cheesy and I loved it, but then they had to put this little anti-war part at the end, I guess to discourage us from actually going out and joining a pre-20th century cavalry regiment. And then they made a reprise to that song describing a nihilistic war that went so badly for this poor cavalry man that I cannot really find what war Corb Lund is talking about.

So kids, joining the cavalry is not cool. Do not even think of strapping on a curved sabre and riding off to fight for Italian Unification or Greek Independence or whatever other pre-20th century conflict you were thinking of joining. What is the Franco-Prussian War good for? Absolutely nothing!

Anyway yeah I think they are pretty good :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2018, 12:23:38 PM
Their 'I want to be in the Cavalry Song' was hilarious and cheesy and I loved it, but then they had to put this little anti-war part at the end, I guess to discourage us from actually going out and joining a pre-20th century cavalry regiment. And then they made a reprise to that song describing a nihilistic war that went so badly for this poor cavalry man that I cannot really find what war Corb Lund is talking about.

So kids, joining the cavalry is not cool. Do not even think of strapping on a curved sabre and riding off to fight for Italian Unification or Greek Independence or whatever other pre-20th century conflict you were thinking of joining. What is the Franco-Prussian War good for? Absolutely nothing!

Anyway yeah I think they are pretty good :P

I'm just surprised anyone else has heard of them.  :D

This song at least ends more happily for the cavalry though:

Today I ride with special forces on those wily Afghan horses
Dostum's Northern Alliance give their thanks
And no matter defeat or victory, in battle it occurs to me
That we may see a swelling in our ranks
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

The Minsky Moment

Dizzy Gillespie - Verve/Phillips Small Group Sessions

Collection of small group performances from the 50s & 60s.  Dizzy liked the big band format but couldn't always get the economics to work. Significant variation here including some proto hard bop sessions in the early 50s with Hank Mobley, extensive forays into the bossa nova sound at the same time Stan Getz was doing it, some odd vocalese collaborations, and a bunch of scores written for or in homage to Hollywood.  Personal favorites include a 1961 concert at MOMA with Lalo Shifrin at piano (guy who wrote the Mission Impossible theme), the 1963 bossa nova album ("New Wave"), and a 1963 album with James Moody (flute) and Kenny Barron (piano) ("Something Old, Something New").  The latter two are streamable under the indicated names, the MOMA concert can be found under the title "An Electrifying Evening With the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on August 20, 2018, 09:57:41 AM

I thought it was great stuff - something history obsessed Languishites might like.

I am contractually obliged to point out that Corb Lund is not just a Canadian band - they are an Albertan band. :contract: :alberta:

I'm not a massive fan, but I like their stuff.  I hadn't heard that one before, and enjoyed it.  Thanks for the link. :hug:

But if you liked Calvary Song, I wonder what you'd think of Corb Lund's biggest hit - Truck Got Stuck. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

:lol: Calvary is a very different thing than Cavalry. Though I, of course, have to make that joke whenever I drive past the Calvary Church. 'That is where they worship Joachim Murat, son'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2018, 10:51:01 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 20, 2018, 09:57:41 AM

I am contractually obliged to point out that Corb Lund is not just a Canadian band - they are an Albertan band. :contract: :alberta:

I'm not a massive fan, but I like their stuff.  I hadn't heard that one before, and enjoyed it.  Thanks for the link. :hug:

But if you liked Calvary Song, I wonder what you'd think of Corb Lund's biggest hit - Truck Got Stuck. :hmm:

It put a smile on my face, having been in that exact situation once before - or rather, my dad was.

Up at Oro, when I was a kid (and it was still considered okay to have the kids sit in the back of a pick-up truck going down the highway - because your wife wanted to smoke in the cab, and the kids found the smoke irritating!  :lol:). Dad got his Ford pick-up stuck in the mud, called his buddy the local farmer (one of the few left) for a tow, he got stuck too. They had to get a professional tow to escape. 

That Ford was the most basic vehicle I've ever seen - it had zero frills; but it lasted an amazingly long time, until rust finally did it in.

Eddie Teach

When did the killjoys make that not ok?  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

In the mood for some power ballads

Metallica: Unforgiven
Nothing Else Matters

Black Sabbath: Changes
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Just learned the original name of The Grateful Dead.

[spoiler]The Warlocks[/spoiler]

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"