News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2018, 01:52:30 PM
No Doubt - Ex-Girlfriend

Dammit. I should have thought of that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Eddie Teach

And I enjoyed your song suggestion.  :)

Savonarola

On the subject of Indian music on western instruments:

Hariprasad Chaurasia, Brij Bhushan Kabra, and Shivkumar Sharma - Call of the Valley (1967)

This is an instrumental suite going through the day in the life of a shepherd in Kashmir.  (Leonard Bernstein in his Children's Concert series has a great talk on this.  He introduces Telemann's Don Quixote Suite by telling the children that it could just as easily be about Superman and Jimmy Olsen.  So if you don't hear the hours of the day or a shepherd or Kashmir in this one; don't fret.)  The suite is a series of ragas, but not strictly traditional.  Sharma was both famous and infamous for his innovation in Indian music; and using the Kabra's guitar on this was really stretching boundaries (and blurred the lines between Indian pop and traditional Indian music.)  While the influence of Indian music on the west is obvious in this era; it's interesting that the west was also an influence on Indian music at the time as well.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Seems a trend for hard rock bands these days to do lots of covers. In less than half an hour I heard Careless Whisper, Blank Space and Land of Confusion. Also been hearing Sound of Silence, Gone Away and Zombie fairly frequently.

Eddie Teach

Since last post, I've heard Simple Man and Wicked Game.  :D

The Minsky Moment

Jaco Pastorious - Truth Liberty and Soul (1982/2017)

1982 concert originally broadcast by NPR - the masters were lost for decades, then rediscovered and remastered by the original recording engineer.  Released by Resonance Records, who specializes in these sorts of lost-and-found projects.

Pastorius suffered from bipolar disorder, which not surprisingly seriously disrupted his career and eventually led to his horrific death (beaten to death by a club bouncer).  He famously touted himself as the greatest bass player in the world, and was just about good enough to make the claim credible, at least as to the electric version of the instrument.  This concert was a big band format under his leadership, and it shows off not only his extraordinary virtuosity on the instrument, but his not inconsiderable skill as a bandleader and arranger.  Impressive lineup including Randy Brecker, John Faddis, Toots Thieleman, Lou Marini (of SNL and Blues Brothers fame), many other notable names.

Not currently available for streaming, but it can be purchased on CD and/or MP3 format.  The CD comes with a large booklet with lots of pictures and interviews.  Decent deal under $20 for 2 full CDs worth of music, if this sort of thing is your bag.  For those interested but not familiar with Jaco - try streaming Jaco Pastorius (1976) which presents his music in a small group format.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)

Even weirder than I remembered.  The album is overflowing with wild rhythms, weird arrangements and psychedelic experimentation.  This works out really well on some songs (especially 2000 Light Years from Home; but Gomper, She's a Rainbow, Citadel and In Another Land are all great as well.)  Even the less than spectacular songs (Sing This All Together and its reprise) are still fascinating.  I think the big problem with the album is best summed up in listening to the Stones chant "Ooh-la-la, Ooh-la-la-la-la" in "She's a Rainbow"; it's a good song, but it's not The Rolling Stones.  It's too bad they'd never take this many chances again; but they really did need to return to the blues.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Really enjoying this cover of House of the Rising Sun by Sandi Thom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm-nk9ROfDU
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2018, 08:21:11 PM
Yes. Fragile

I was listening to that the other day - it's a great album. I particularly enjoy South Side of the Sky - I mean, how could any Canadian not enjoy a song about dying of hypothermia?  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on March 09, 2018, 09:49:33 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2018, 08:21:11 PM
Yes. Fragile

I was listening to that the other day - it's a great album. I particularly enjoy South Side of the Sky - I mean, how could any Canadian not enjoy a song about dying of hypothermia?  :D

indeed
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011