News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on February 02, 2018, 05:51:50 PM
I stand corrected. Interesting they removed Astronomy Domine from the tracklist which has become the ONLY song still played live by David Gilmour (including on his last tour two years ago). I suppose current US versions contain the proper listing

Yeah, I don't think many of the 60s era US releases of British bands are still issued.  (I think the US version of the Rolling Stone's Aftermath is still available and "Meet the Beatles" (US version of "With the Beatles") was released on CD, but I believe is now out of print.)

My understanding is that the British market saw singles and LPs as different media; and if you included your singles on your LP it was considered a rip-off.  In the United States singles were supposed to sell LPs so they were supposed to be included.  So that's why the versions were so different.  (The Beatles also had separate Canadian releases; I'm not really sure of the logic behind that.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Quote from: Savonarola on February 03, 2018, 06:20:26 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 02, 2018, 05:51:50 PM
I stand corrected. Interesting they removed Astronomy Domine from the tracklist which has become the ONLY song still played live by David Gilmour (including on his last tour two years ago). I suppose current US versions contain the proper listing

Yeah, I don't think many of the 60s era US releases of British bands are still issued.  (I think the US version of the Rolling Stone's Aftermath is still available and "Meet the Beatles" (US version of "With the Beatles") was released on CD, but I believe is now out of print.)

My understanding is that the British market saw singles and LPs as different media; and if you included your singles on your LP it was considered a rip-off.  In the United States singles were supposed to sell LPs so they were supposed to be included.  So that's why the versions were so different.  (The Beatles also had separate Canadian releases; I'm not really sure of the logic behind that.)

You know, you've know made it my mission to track down that US vinyl with See Emily Play on it to add to my collection :-)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Kris Kristofferson - Duvalier's Dream

Josephus

King Crimson. Sailors' Tales. Disc 17. Summit Studios Denver, march 1972
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on February 07, 2018, 07:12:55 PM

:cool:

Man you're the guy who actually listens all the way through those expensive boxed sets.   :cool:  :worthy:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2018, 07:23:53 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 07, 2018, 07:12:55 PM

:cool:

Man you're the guy who actually listens all the way through those expensive boxed sets.   :cool:  :worthy:

At least once.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Donovan - Sunshine Superman (1966)

Somehow I missed this when going through 1966 albums.  It does actually fit in well to 1967 with tons of electric sitar and acid (one of the songs is even called "The Trip.")

Prior to the single "Sunshine Superman" Donovan was thought of as the British Dylan.  He broke free of that, but the results are sometimes mixed.  There are many gems on this album (the title track, The Trip, Season of the Witch and Celeste); but there's some hippy crap to get through as well, notably Legend of a Girl Child Linda.

The music is usually good throughout.  It's helped notably because he hired some session musician named "Jimmy Page" to play guitar for him.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on February 04, 2018, 09:32:46 AM
You know, you've know made it my mission to track down that US vinyl with See Emily Play on it to add to my collection :-)

Best of luck; that would be pretty cool to own.   :cool:

The Minsky Moment

Sonny Meets Hawk (1963)

This is an interesting set  - by 1963 Ornette Coleman and  John Coltrane were pushing jazz into uncharted directions, freeing the music from traditional harmonic constraints.  One of Ornette's earliest champions was pianist Paul Bley, who is on this session with the young bassist Henry Grimes, also a free player.   The headliners here are Sonny Rollins and Coleman Hawkins.  Rollins had established himself as the leading saxophone player in the late 1950s but then suddenly vanished from the scene for about 3 years.  Hawkins, on other hand, became famous playing in the 1920s era Fletcher Henderson orchestra, but unlike most of his other contemporaries, kept up interest in modern developments.  So this was a real cross-generation effort.  On some of the tracks the horn players circle each other like wary wild cats, but both of them use the setup to really stretch themselves.  The result is mixing of styles that doesn't always meld into a coherent whole but provides some interesting moments.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Tim Buckley - Goodbye and Hello (1967)

(Okay, I realize I'm going to sound like those people on the YouTube comment section of FourFiveSeconds who congratulated Kanye on finding this hot new bassist, Paul McCartney, to play on his song, but) I didn't realize that Jeff Buckley's father was also a singer/songwriter/guitarist.  The album is most folk-psychedelia with occasionally an Elizabethan sound.  Some of it is brilliant; especially the opening and closing tracks: "No Man Can Find The War" and "Morning Glory," respectively.  Some of it is pure hippy crap, especially the title track.  The biggest flaw is that Tim has the Richard Harris voice; it's hard not to imagine that the next track is going to be "MacArthur Park."

Savonarola

Arlo Guthrie - Alice's Restaurant (1967)

(Yes, I did know Arlo's father was also a folk singer.)

I once saw Arlo in concert.  He said that the day he finished this album he rushed home to tell his friends that he had completed the album.  They said "We have the album;" to which he replied "What do you mean 'You have the album' I just recorded it."  They sat him down and played the just released "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" for him.  He said that he was simply blown away by the album; it made everything that came before it sound obsolete, even things that had been recorded that very day...

The first side is the title track; for which the album is remembered (fairly.)  The second side is also very good; the only downside is it has the original version of The Motorcycle Song.  It's not bad, but the live version is so much better.