News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Maybe the first time I've ever consciously listened to Copland's 'A Fanfare for the Common Man', rather restrained as compare to ELP's take. :whistle:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

The Velvet Underground - Nico and the Velvet Underground (1967)

Back to the electric sitar, but I don't think the VU was dropping a lot of acid (or at least not much in proportion to all the other drugs.)  After listening to the other (pop) album of the times I appreciate how revolutionary this was.  This comes from the high water mark of psychedelia, nothing else from the era sounds like this and no one else was writing songs about heroin, prostitution and S&M parties.  Nico's singing leaves a great deal to be desired and the viola never really caught on as a rock instrument, but somehow it all works together as a weird and wonderful experience.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Wasn't Nico foisted on them as a kind of marketing gimmick? 
Great debut album, rare example of one Warhol's projects transcending its programmed silliness.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 12, 2018, 11:03:16 AM
Wasn't Nico foisted on them as a kind of marketing gimmick? 
Great debut album, rare example of one Warhol's projects transcending its programmed silliness.

Yeah, Nico was part of Warhol's factory.  She had trouble singing in the right key (or any key) live.  Their association with Warhol allowed them to sing what they wanted and to play the viola to their hearts' content; so it was probably a fair trade off.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Little Brutes - Make Our Own Way
Ingrid Michaelson - Giving Up
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Sorabji's 'Opus Clavicesmbalisticum' - ok 

mongers

Cage's 4' 33" - simply brilliant, the concept transcends it's component parts, I especially appreciated the 'finale'

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 12, 2018, 06:41:48 PM
Cage's 4' 33" - simply brilliant, the concept transcends it's component parts, I especially appreciated the 'finale'

Old people jokes? I mean I'd say art historian jokes but I don't recall you ever mentioning that in your past.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on January 12, 2018, 10:08:11 AM
The Velvet Underground - Nico and the Velvet Underground (1967)

Back to the electric sitar, but I don't think the VU was dropping a lot of acid (or at least not much in proportion to all the other drugs.)  After listening to the other (pop) album of the times I appreciate how revolutionary this was.  This comes from the high water mark of psychedelia, nothing else from the era sounds like this and no one else was writing songs about heroin, prostitution and S&M parties.  Nico's singing leaves a great deal to be desired and the viola never really caught on as a rock instrument, but somehow it all works together as a weird and wonderful experience.

What a clown. 

I skip the Nico tracks.

garbon

Rilo Kiley - With Arms Outstretched

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on January 11, 2018, 08:15:54 PM
Maybe the first time I've ever consciously listened to Copland's 'A Fanfare for the Common Man', rather restrained as compare to ELP's take. :whistle:

Yeah, never heard "the original"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on January 14, 2018, 09:09:19 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 11, 2018, 08:15:54 PM

Yeah, never heard "the original"

And now I want to listen to that, preferably the video set in the Toronto oplympic stadium.  :)

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

So apparently Ed Sheeran has the second biggest song in music history if you base it on appearances on weekly charts. It's also the only song on the top 10 I can't immediately remember, I'm sure I can recognise it though.

1   Candle In The Wind 1997 - Elton John
A&M - 1997 - 21.314.000 points
2   Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran
Asylum / Atlantic - 2017 - 16.616.000 points
3   I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
Arista - 1992 - 16.547.000 points
4   (Everything I Do) I Do It For You - Bryan Adams
A&M - 1991 - 15.694.000 points
5   Happy - Pharrell Williams
Back Lot / Columbia - 2014 - 14.844.000 points
6   We Are The World - USA For Africa
CBS / Columbia - 1985 - 14.600.000 points
7   Uptown Funk! - Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars
RCA - 2014 - 14.463.000 points
8   I Want To Hold Your Hand - Beatles
Parlophone / Capitol - 1963 - 14.435.000 points
9   Macarena - Los Del Rio
RCA - 1996 - 14.126.000 points
10   Hey Jude - Beatles
Parlophone / Apple - 1968 - 13.972.000 points

http://www.mediatraffic.de/alltime-track-chart.htm
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on January 14, 2018, 06:55:07 PM
So apparently Ed Sheeran has the second biggest song in music history if you base it on appearances on weekly charts. It's also the only song on the top 10 I can't immediately remember, I'm sure I can recognise it though.

1   Candle In The Wind 1997 - Elton John
A&M - 1997 - 21.314.000 points
2   Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran
Asylum / Atlantic - 2017 - 16.616.000 points
3   I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
Arista - 1992 - 16.547.000 points
4   (Everything I Do) I Do It For You - Bryan Adams
A&M - 1991 - 15.694.000 points
5   Happy - Pharrell Williams
Back Lot / Columbia - 2014 - 14.844.000 points
6   We Are The World - USA For Africa
CBS / Columbia - 1985 - 14.600.000 points