News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

The Who – A Quick One (1966)

The primary problem with the album is that their label insisted that each member write two songs.  John came up with two of his best (Whiskey Man and Boris the Spider), and Pete's are mostly solid; but Keith's and Rodger's just aren't very good.  Pete's first foray into rock opera is in this one (A Quick One While He's Away); that's hit or miss but an interesting look at what is to come.

While not as raw or exciting as "The Who Sing My Generation" this is still great.  Keith's drums really drive the songs, just as on the previous album, giving them each a manic energy.  This is the last hurrah for "Maximum R&B" with their cover of "Heat Wave;" it's every bit as frantic as Motown was soulful.  It's for the best that they didn't continue in that direction, but that is still a great version of the song.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Tomasz Stanko - Suspended Variations (2003)

Trumpeter, the pride of Polish jazz.  This a track from a decade-old ECM album, heard on Pandora.  ECM of course doesn't stream on Spotify etc. and I have mixed feelings about the "ECM sound."  I'm pretty omnivorous but I'm more of a Blue Note sound guy (i.e. Horace Silver or Art Blakey).  The classic ECM is more free, more avant, more "third stream,:  more pretentious, and at worst can veer dangerously towards new age.  This is definitely an "ECM sound" track but Stanko is the real deal despite the consonants, I'm tempted to check out the album despite it being out of my usual zone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

The Doors - The Doors (1967)

Pop, rock, blues, psychedelia, poetry, bossa nova and opera (?) all come together for a great album.  The Doors would have other hits, but never an album quite this great again.  Jim's poetry is more than a little stupid (even by the standards of the 1960s), but I think it works due to his sheer charisma.  On that subject I don't think anyone else could make Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill sound that cool.   :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Queen - On Air - BBC sessions from 1973,74 and 77. 

Some interesting versions including some pre-release versions(?) .

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

The Rolling Stones - Between The Buttons (1967)

1967 saw the release of the Stones' least blues influenced albums, "Their Satanic Majesties Request" and "Between the Buttons."  Satanic Majesties is wildly experimental; but in a sense more consistent than this album, all the songs are psychedelia.  On "Between the Buttons" the songs seem to come from all over, mid-60s pop, country, British music hall, renaissance music and rock and roll all intersect here.  They do manage to get their quota of misogynistic put down songs on this one, but they also parody themselves doing this in "Cool, Calm and Collected."  A couple of the songs, "She Smiled Sweetly" and "Who's Been Sleeping Here?" demonstrate that John Lennon wasn't the only Dylan obsessed British rock star.

The album is mostly forgotten, except for the big hits, "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "Ruby Tuesday."  It is well worth a listen, especially if you think Satanic Majesties isn't that bad.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on January 05, 2018, 02:42:34 PM
ELP. Trilogy

Nice.

But you'll need a longer exposition on it's merits if you're to join in the Sav v. JR contest.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on January 05, 2018, 03:06:32 PM
ELP. Trilogy

Nice.

But you'll need a longer exposition on it's merits if you're to join in the Sav v. JR contest.  :P

Can't be arsed  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 05, 2018, 03:06:32 PM
ELP. Trilogy

Nice.

I think the first thread said just song and title, no mas.

Eddie Teach

Rihanna- Bitch Better Have My Money

I think the title says it all.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?