And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
Slade 'Merry Xmas Everybody'   :bowler:

I like Slade but it's kinda weird watching videos of fat rockers.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2017, 10:43:08 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2017, 10:35:22 PM
Slade 'Merry Xmas Everybody'   :bowler:

I like Slade but it's kinda weird watching videos of fat rockers.

Hey, what can I say, it was 1970s Britain, people let it all hang-out.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Mongers is drowning in Christmas spirits.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

dps

REO Speedwagon:  "Golden Country".  Been listening to that one a lot since we saw 'em live last year.

PDH

Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns and Money
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Herbie Nichols - Complete Blue Note Recordings

Nichols was about the same age as Thelonious Monk - they both played piano, both were highly imaginative had superb compositional skills, harmonic inventiveness (Nichols was a big fan of Bartok).  Both had a hard time gaining an audience.  Their personalities were very different though . . . Monk was eccentric, a larger than life personality.  When audiences finally caught up to the music, Monk became a star, shrewdly using his "mad genius" image to his advantage, parlaying it into a Time magazine cover and long-term recording contracts at majors like Columbia.

Nichols was a very different personality - quiet, intellectual, bookish.  He took gigs with Dixieland bands for the steady paycheck .  Blue Note chief Alfred Lion (who also recorded Monk's early work) was a fan, and gave him a bunch of recording time in a trio arrangement with Art Blakey on drums.  It was a commercial flop, Nichols was just too ahead of his time. It basically ended Nichols own recording career.  He did retain a cult following, which maintained the flame even after Nichols' death in his 40s, resulting in the reissue of almost forgotten Blue Note records decades later.  Now available on the streaming services.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Ian dury and the blockheads - 'hit me with your rhythm stick'

mongers

Watching ZZ Top live on The Tube tv series, from I guess around 1983-84.

Three songs, twelve minutes, worth a viewing if it's on youtube.

mongers

ZZ Top - 'Sure Got Cold After The Rain Fell'.  (on Rio Grande Mud album)

Eddie Teach

The Revivalists- Wish I Knew You
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

Why modern pop music sucks.  Actual reasons, not a rant.  The phrase "millenial whoop" alone is worth the price of admission.  A little long winded at the end.

Savonarola

Cream – Fresh Cream (1966)

Cream's debut album has its moments; especially "I Feel Free" and it has its duds; notably "Sleepy Time Time."  The main issue with this is Jack Bruce's voice isn't really suited either for the blues or for psychedelia; which is something of a problem for the lead singer in a blues-psychedelia band.  I'm not a fan of "Toad" but otherwise the instrumental work is great; revolutionary for its day, in fact, though it inspired so many other bands that it's hard to hear it as such.

"I Feel Free" was Cream's second single.  The first was "Wrapping Paper," which is Cream's "When I'm Sixty Four."  They would later do "A Muvver's Lament" which is in a similar vein, except this one sounds like it's done in earnest.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on January 01, 2018, 09:45:39 PM
ZZ Top - 'Sure Got Cold After The Rain Fell'.  (on Rio Grande Mud album)

Pastiched Parodied by Ministry with Rio Grande Blood in 2006.  :nerd:

Drakken

Lazerhawk - Redline.

That album is fuckin' awesome. That is all. :w00t: