News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Vijay Iyer - Historicity & Accelerando

Two trio sessions from Yale grad/Harvard Prof/McCarthur Fellow pianist-leader.  Support from Marcus Gilmore, grandson of legend Roy Haynes and one of the best young drummers out there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 26, 2017, 11:01:05 PM
Brushing up on my history  :P

Boney M- Rasputin
Iron Maiden- Alexander the Great
Neil Young- Cortez the Killer
Billy Joel- We Didn't Start the Fire
The Royal Guardsmen- Snoopy vs the Red Baron
They Might Be Giants- Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
Bastille- Pompeii
The Band- The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Not bad. You need to add Roger Waters' "Watching TV" which does a good rundown of the Chinese Revolution.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Christine and the Queens - Tilted
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 26, 2017, 11:01:05 PM
Brushing up on my history  :P

Neil Young- Cortez the Killer

Neil Young - my go-to source for the history of the Aztecs.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

So much for Ontario solidarity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 28, 2017, 01:48:57 PM
So much for Ontario solidarity.

Hey, he's a great songwriter.

Just not such a great historian.

My eleven year old son nearly died laughing when he heard this song about how, under the Aztecs, "war was never known".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Just for you, next time I'll listen to the Dave Matthews version Alexa keeps trying to foist on me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Diana Ross - The Feeling We Once Had
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Delirium

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

garbon

Spotify has their yearly summary bit out and my top categories were:

Pop
Dance Pop
Post-teen Pop
R&B
Pop Rap

:blush:

Liep

Can you give some examples from Post-teen Pop? First I've heard of this category

Apple Music is quite boring this time of year compared to Spotify. No bells and whistles. :(

garbon

Quote from: Liep on December 06, 2017, 07:13:07 AM
Can you give some examples from Post-teen Pop? First I've heard of this category

Apple Music is quite boring this time of year compared to Spotify. No bells and whistles. :(

I've never heard of it either. Spotify name, I guess.  Here's a playlist from them of it, which largely looks like pop that millennials (in the sense including myself of coming of age around 2000) would know and like.

https://open.spotify.com/user/thesoundsofspotify/playlist/10FCW9lj0NdeoYI5VVvVtY