And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

James P Johnson - Classic Sessions Disc 1 (1921-1927)

Harlem stride piano master - this is a collection of his earliest recordings.  The solo piano is still incredible after almost 100 years.  The rest of the this disc is Johnson accompanying singers of variable abilities.  On the down side, the obscure Lavinia Turner reminds me of Edith Bunker, but on the up side is his work with legendary blues singer Bessie Smith.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Kylie Minogue - Get Outta My Way
Liz Phair - Fuck and Run
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Delirium

Lester Young and the Oscar Peterson Trio, 1952.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

garbon

Chris De Burgh - Lady In Red
Sade - Smooth Operator
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2017, 09:56:01 AM

:bleeding:  Oh dear God, high school prom flashbacks.  THEY BURN

Eddie Teach

I guess she wasn't dancing with you?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Childish Gambino- Redbone
The Weeknd- Starboy
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 31, 2017, 08:58:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2017, 09:56:01 AM

:bleeding:  Oh dear God, high school prom flashbacks.  THEY BURN

Sad thing is Chris De Burgh is actually a great singer songwriter, but he'll always be remembered for this pap
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmJ6e06eYcM

The Fendertones perform Sloop John B.

20 average looking suburban dudes do eerily precise Beach Boys covers.

Liep

Saw Gorillaz in concert tonight, great band but the whenever they played a hit without the guest vocal present it fell kinda flat. The warm up and feature artist Little Simz stole the show though and I don't even like grime.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on November 04, 2017, 05:51:50 PM
Saw Gorillaz in concert tonight, great band but the whenever they played a hit without the guest vocal present it fell kinda flat. The warm up and feature artist Little Simz stole the show though and I don't even like grime.

:cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

By weird circumstance I came to listen to Quebec punk rockers Les Dales Hawerchuk: named after arguably the best Winnipeg Jet player of all time.

Pretty good, actually.  Even if I only understand a quarter of what they're singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbZqFTVozzs
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Fats Waller - V Disc Recordings (1944)

During much of WW2, the American Federation of Musicians had a recording strike.  Back then unions actually counted, and the strike was effective - recording came to a virtual stop for more than two years.  That left the boys overseas without any new records to play so someone had the bright idea of making special edition records just for the troops overseas: the V Disc program.  Most of the big stars of the era signed up.  After the war all the records were destroyed, although a few sets  and some of the metal stampers survived. A bunch have been reissued despite the unclear legal status decades later, the Sinatra ones in particular are an important period in his discography.

Fats Waller did some V Disc records - they turned out to be last recordings he made before his death at age 40.  Legend has it he showed up for the session with a couple bottles of whiskey and left with empty bottles, about half the takes were unreleasable.  What was released though shows him on form, playing a good selection of his hits for the last time on record.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson