News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on October 04, 2017, 04:04:03 PM
Freak Out! has a lot of really good songs. Something which cannot be said about all his records.

Yes, I had burned out on the music collages, but listening to the first LP again it does have a number of good songs.  He probably could have had a hit with some of them with more commercial oriented production and different lyrics.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Somebody sang an Ed Sheeran song t'other night at karaoke. 

Lyrics sounded like they were written by a five year old.  :(

Eddie Teach

"Alexa, play Jai Ho."
"Playing Jive Talking by the Bee Gees."
/facepalm

"Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire" worked though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

The Yardbirds - The Yardbirds (1966)

Also known as "Roger the Engineer" and "Over Under Sideways Down."  The Yardbirds were now Jeff Beck's band and were moving away from the blues towards rock and psychedelia.  The album is a hit or miss affair, a lot of the blues instrumentals are forgettable.  Still it's a marked improvement from "Having a Rave Up."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Ellington - At Newport 1956 (complete)

The first 3 CDs I ever bought were Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus, the Miles Davis/Milt Jackson Bag's Grove Session, and the Ellington Newport recording.  What I didn't know then was that other than the last track Ellington CD wasn't really the Newport performance, most of it was recorded later in studio and the audience noise spliced in.  Partly because Duke was a perfectionist and partly because the Columbia live recording had some issues.

Turns out there was another live recording by Voice of America, and the Sony people did some technical wizardry to create a stereo recording combining those tapes and the Columbia masters.  Against expectations, it really does sound good, and the genuine live set is there in its full if flawed glory just as it was played back in July 56.

Ellington's own reservations aside, it's a good snapshot of his band at or near its peak level of performance.  The recording is most famous for a long Paul Gonsalves tenor solo that drove the crowd in a frenzy.  The solo is fine, but the ensemble playing is the star here.  That and Johnny Hodges on alto.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Alan Silvestri - Delta Force Theme

after

Megaforce theme  :P

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2017, 01:05:46 AM
Ellington - At Newport 1956 (complete)

The first 3 CDs I ever bought were Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus, the Miles Davis/Milt Jackson Bag's Grove Session, and the Ellington Newport recording.  What I didn't know then was that other than the last track Ellington CD wasn't really the Newport performance, most of it was recorded later in studio and the audience noise spliced in.  Partly because Duke was a perfectionist and partly because the Columbia live recording had some issues.

I've read that one of the biggest problems is that Paul Gonsalves microphone wasn't wired for recording.

QuoteTurns out there was another live recording by Voice of America, and the Sony people did some technical wizardry to create a stereo recording combining those tapes and the Columbia masters.  Against expectations, it really does sound good, and the genuine live set is there in its full if flawed glory just as it was played back in July 56.

Ellington's own reservations aside, it's a good snapshot of his band at or near its peak level of performance.  The recording is most famous for a long Paul Gonsalves tenor solo that drove the crowd in a frenzy.  The solo is fine, but the ensemble playing is the star here.  That and Johnny Hodges on alto.

I'd like to hear that; where is it available?

Josephus

Tom Petty. Full Moon Fever. A classic
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 06, 2017, 03:42:05 AM
Alan Silvestri - Delta Force Theme

:worship:

The first Delta Force movie was formative in young Tamas' life.

I mean, rocket launchers on motorbikes. Come on.

Savonarola

Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton (1966)

I think this is the best British blues album I've heard (admittedly that's not a real high bar) even their cover of "What'd I say"  :cool: sounds great.  I didn't know John McVie was in the Blues Breakers.  Mick Fleetwood was too, but he joined after this album.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on October 06, 2017, 08:15:40 AM
I've read that one of the biggest problems is that Paul Gonsalves microphone wasn't wired for recording.

The VOA had their own microphone which caught it more clearly.

QuoteI'd like to hear that; where is it available?

It's available on the streaming services - look for "complete" or a long track list that starts with the Star Spangled Banner played live
Or get the CD: https://www.amazon.com/Ellington-At-Newport-1956-Duke/dp/B00000IMYA

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on October 06, 2017, 09:00:22 AM
(admittedly that's not a real high bar)

Not a Led Zep fan generally, but always had a soft spot for "When the Levee Breaks".  It may not be the most authentic presentation, but as a creative reinterpretation it's got moxie.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2017, 10:49:01 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 06, 2017, 08:15:40 AM

The VOA had their own microphone which caught it more clearly.

QuoteI'd like to hear that; where is it available?

It's available on the streaming services - look for "complete" or a long track list that starts with the Star Spangled Banner played live
Or get the CD: https://www.amazon.com/Ellington-At-Newport-1956-Duke/dp/B00000IMYA

Awesome, thanks.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2017, 10:51:37 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 06, 2017, 09:00:22 AM
(admittedly that's not a real high bar)

Not a Led Zep fan generally, but always had a soft spot for "When the Levee Breaks".  It may not be the most authentic presentation, but as a creative reinterpretation it's got moxie.

I like "When the Levee Breaks," but I don't think Led Zeppelin IV is a blues album.  I think you could make the case for Led Zeppelin I being blues but, well, see my original post.   ;)