And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

The Monks - Black Monk Time (1966)

:punk:

Even raw-er than the previous year's "Here are the Sonics" by the Sonics; and much weirder as rhythm was played on electric banjo and they did dress up as monks, complete with tonsures.  (They got their start in West Germany, as if you couldn't have guessed.)  This is a forgotten gem of proto-punk.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

My favorite new musical challenge

#forthedickchallenge
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
Marlena Shaw - California Soul
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Paul Revere and the Raiders - Midnight Ride (1966)

This is the one with "Kicks" and the original version of "I'm not your Stepping Stone."  It's not a bad album, filled mostly with rockers.

I learned that when Paul Revere (yes, that was his real name, he had it legally changed... from Paul Revere Dick,) was doing his service as a conscientious objector (1960-1961) he was temporarily replaced by Leon Russell (then 18 years old).  I also learned that "Kicks" was banned from some radio stations because they thought it glorified drug use; the polar opposite message of the lyrics.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Sonics - Boom (1966)

Every bit at :punk: as their previous years "This is the Sonics."  This time they do more R&B numbers including "Hitch Hike" and "Jenny Jenny," those are okay, but the rockers and especially the original compositions (notably Psycho and The Witch) are where they really shine through.

They tried to go commercial on their next album, "Introducing the Sonics" and by all accounts that was a really, really bad idea.  There was a group called "The Sonics" that soldiered on until the 80s, but all the original members had lefty by 1968.

Eddie Teach

Did any of them go on to bigger things?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Skunk Anansie - Secretly
Billie Myers - Kiss The Rain

Savonarola

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 29, 2017, 04:05:16 PM
Did any of them go on to bigger things?

No (at least not in music) they all went to college and got day jobs.

garbon

The Killers - Wonderful Wonderful

I want to like this album but the religious imagery is draped heavily across it. I feel like I'm listen to the gateway to Christian rock concert attendance.

garbon

The Minsky Moment

Clifford Jordan - Glass Bead Games (1973)

Strong Coltrane influence from the early 60s quartet, but on a more human scale.   This was released on Strata East, an independent, artist controlled label that turned out some superb releases in the 70s, but not surprisingly struggled financially and was defunct before the CD.  Glass Bead Games became a kind of cult classic, and old LPs carried a high premium for years. Recently it was added to the streaming services (and released as part of CD box set for the label).  The always stellar Billy Higgins on drums. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out! (1966)

One of the first double albums.  The first LP is loaded with sarcastic pop songs; the second with weird avant garde sound collages.  If there had been such a thing as Art Punk Rock this album would be its precursor.  (Not like the Talking Heads; if there had been Emerson, Lake and Rotten this album would have been their inspiration.)

While this really isn't my thing, I'll give Frank Zappa credit.  He obviously could have been successful writing pop songs, but did what he wanted instead.  The album does have its moments, especially the song about the Watts Riots, "Trouble Every Day."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Freak Out! has a lot of really good songs. Something which cannot be said about all his records.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

The new songs from Liam Gallagher. :thumbsup:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk