And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Liep on August 25, 2017, 06:18:34 AM
The new Taylor Swift single. Uhm. I see what they were trying to do, but. :hmm:

Also, Selena Gomez did the re-use old classic in new pop song much better with Talking Heads. Of course, Right Said Fred was never good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Has Taylor Swift ever done a decent song btw? All songs I've heard are poopy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: The Brain on August 25, 2017, 06:35:01 AM

Most of her singles from her last album were fine, IMHO. Blank Space and Shake It Off are great pop tunes.

Katy Perry, now... she needs an intervention, fast. Her career is self-mutilating.

Liep

I liked a few songs of her last album.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

The Brain

A problem with Shake It Off is that I can so easily.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Liep on August 25, 2017, 06:18:34 AM
The new Taylor Swift single. Uhm. I see what they were trying to do, but. :hmm:

I felt like the chorus bit was like a temp placeholder that they forgot to replace. "Now let's mix in her saying the name of the track over and over."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on August 25, 2017, 06:38:27 AM

Most of her singles from her last album were fine, IMHO. Blank Space and Shake It Off are great pop tunes.

Haters going to hate hate hate? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones - Now! (US Version) (1965)

Like most British Invasion releases in the US, this is cobbled together from other sources.  Most of the album (8 songs of 12) is covers, which show a wide range from early rock and roll, to blues to R&B.  For the most part the covers are much better than the Jagger-Richards composition, with the sole exception of "Heart of Stone" their first top 20 hit that they wrote and performed themselves. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

"Love Story", "I knew you were trouble when you walked in" and "Blank Space" are ok.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on August 25, 2017, 08:29:27 AM
The Rolling Stones - The Rolling Stones - Now! (US Version) (1965)

Like most British Invasion releases in the US, this is cobbled together from other sources.  Most of the album (8 songs of 12) is covers, which show a wide range from early rock and roll, to blues to R&B.  For the most part the covers are much better than the Jagger-Richards composition, with the sole exception of "Heart of Stone" their first top 20 hit that they wrote and performed themselves.

Plus you always have to look carefully when the Stones claimed writing credit in those days.  For a while Jagger/Richards claimed writing credit on "I'm Alright" despite borrowing it from Bo Diddley.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

The Beatles - Help! (1965)

After recently listening to "Rubber Soul" then this I see what a enormous advance "Rubber Soul" really was.  This is more a collection of songs than an album (probably a necessity given it's the soundtrack to a movie.)  Still there's some great songs here; Ticket to Ride, Help, and Yesterday.  There are a couple covers, one "Act Naturally" is one of my favorite Ringo songs.  The George songs (I Need You and I Like You Too Much) are alright; it's obvious he's still way out of his league.  (Admittedly being called out of the Lennon-McCartney league isn't much of a criticism.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles - Going to a Go-Go (1965)

A real rarity from 60s era Motown, when singles were the focus, this is an entire album that's worth listening to.  There are four singles on this  (Ooo Baby Baby, The Tracks of my Tears, Going to a Go Go and My Girl Has Gone); but every track is great (and almost all are found on Miracles "Greatest Hits" compilations.)  Smokey's singing is simply gorgeous, the band is on fire and the Miracles are, as always, solid throughout. 

garbon

Eddie Teach

Would have liked it better if it was a 311 cover.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?