News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

The Byrds, Mr. Tambourine Man.

Evaluated as a Dylan Cover Band: Weak.  McGuinn does a Dylan imitation on the Dylan penned tracks.

Overall:  Pretty good. "We'll Meet Again" at the end was unexpectedly weird and fun for a straight ahead folk rock album.  I guess it would have to be since it helped establish the genre.

Savonarola

Quote from: frunk on August 23, 2017, 03:11:22 PM
The Byrds, Mr. Tambourine Man.

Evaluated as a Dylan Cover Band: Weak.  McGuinn does a Dylan imitation on the Dylan penned tracks.

Overall:  Pretty good. "We'll Meet Again" at the end was unexpectedly weird and fun for a straight ahead folk rock album.  I guess it would have to be since it helped establish the genre.

In fact the term "Folk Rock" was coined to describe the album.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 23, 2017, 05:11:45 PM
OK - now rate Shatner.

Whooo, that was something.  It gets 10 points for not trying to do Dylan.  For positing Mr. Tambourine Man torturing the singer and paying it forward it his audience it loses 1000.

Savonarola

I recently discovered the Traditional Music Channel on Youtube.  I was listening to some Polish Slavic songs; I didn't know bagpipes (:scots:) were a traditional Polish instrument.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

"Bei Uns in Bayern" - Rockaholixs Buam.  Oktoberfest is just 3 weeks away and the smaller local fests start this weekend.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

The Who - The Who Sing My Generation (1965) :punk:

With the exception of The Sonics, this rocks harder than anything in 1965.  The Who were still in transition between "Maximum R&B" and a hard rock band (there are 2 James Brown covers on the album), but you can clearly hear which side is going to win out; "The Ox" alone makes that obvious.  Some of the songs are forgettable, but this is still a great debut album.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Devo - Jocko Homo

Devolution is real.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Charles Lloyd - Passin' Through

Multi-reedist Lloyd turned 79 at this year and is at the peak of his career.   In the mid/late-60s, he led a quartet with a young Keith Jarrett on piano, doing Coltrane influenced material with spiritual pretensions and "Eastern" coloration.  The formula worked, Lloyd's group got invites to Monterey Pop, a crossover audience from psychedelic rock fans, and a platinum album.  By the early 70s though, Jarrett had moved on and Lloyd went into semi-retirement.  After experimenting with different formats in the 21st century, Lloyd formed a second quartet about 10 years ago, again featuring a talented young(ish) Jason Moran.  Some of his best work has been done with this work, including this just-released album a combo of some recent live performances. Lloyd and Moran mine the entire jazz tradition from Harlem stride to the present.  As one example Tagore on the Delta - recasts a New Agey, Lloyd composition from his mid-60s heyday with a nasty Delta blues bassline.  Good stuff.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Drakken

George Formby - Down on the Maginot Line

Valmy

Sitting on a mine on the Maginot line
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2017, 12:01:40 AM
Sitting on a mine on the Maginot line

Now it's turned out nice again, the Army life is fine

Liep

The new Taylor Swift single. Uhm. I see what they were trying to do, but. :hmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk