News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Pink Floyd. Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It's their debut album's 50th anniversary today
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Makes me feel old and I wasn't even around then.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on August 05, 2017, 06:28:32 AM
Pink Floyd. Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It's their debut album's 50th anniversary today

Good grief!  :bowler:

And in tribute I'll play the 'London 1966/67' EP.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Thanks to whoever shared that article about Russian post-punk on Facebook.

ГШ - Получеловек
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

The Minsky Moment

It's true she's was active in the oughts but it I think it starts to make the point when you need to take two days to come up two examples, and one of them has been dead for 5 years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Esbjoern Svensson Trio - Live in Hamburg

E.S.T. is the poster child for the ECM sound - genre-bending piano trio, Keith Jarrett influence, white, Euro, dreamy evocative sound, use of electronics.  Except I don't think they ever recorded with ECM (good thing as ECM doesn't stream).

As this is live, the band is bereft of their usual studio trickery, which has the positive effect of forcing reliance of one of their greatest strengths - the late Mr. Svensson could just flat out play piano.  There is still gamesmanship here though - on Defintion of a Dog, for example, a hard blues eventually deconstructs into an extended bout of metal-like distorted guitar riffs, until finally resolving back into something vaguely resembling an acoustic piano trio.   
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 06, 2017, 01:14:52 AM
It's true she's was active in the oughts but it I think it starts to make the point when you need to take two days to come up two examples, and one of them has been dead for 5 years.

I think the main point that makes is that Yi is over 50.

mongers

What the DVD of '9012Live', rather good, they rocked more than I remember; I shall revise my opinion of them.   :bowler:

I was shot in Edmonton, found myself wondering if BB or more likely his parents saw the gig.  :D

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

The Sonics - Here are the Sonics (1965)

This rocks every bit as loud and every bit as hard as the MC5 or the Stooges, two years before the Stooges were even formed and three years before "Kick out the Jams."  Strychnine is on the 1998 re-release and expansion of "Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era," which is the only thing I've ever heard from them.  The Christmas songs at the end are a little weird, but otherwise this is well worth listening to for fans of the proto-Punk era.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

David Usher- Fast Car
Sammy Kershaw- She Don't Know She's Beautiful
The Weeknd- Starboy
Pink Floyd- Run Like Hell
Blind Melon- No Rain
King Crimson- Pictures of a City
Arcade Fire- We Used to Wait

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home (1965)

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a young Bruce Springsteen heard the lines "You don't wanna be a bum/you better chew gum" and decided to start writing songs.

This album is a milestone.  Dylan went electric and thereby killed off the early 60s folk revival.  Rock and Roll moved from being children's music to the dominant popular music form among college students and ultimately adults.  Dylan began on the "Rock star" phase of his career; this and the next two albums (Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde) are, in my opinion, his best.

Even without all that, it's still a fantastic album.  Subterranean Homesick Blues and Mr. Tambourine Man alone would be enough to insure this album lives on.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 11, 2017, 12:43:49 PM
Kesha - Woman

She dropped the $? This is worse than Alanis cutting her hair.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2017, 04:40:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 11, 2017, 12:43:49 PM
Kesha - Woman

She dropped the $? This is worse than Alanis cutting her hair.

Yes, her new album now has her name with an 's' as well as isn't all auto-tune pop but actual singing / features two tracks with the Eagles of Death Metal.

Oh and Alanis is a blonde now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.