And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 03, 2017, 09:29:34 AM
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

Listened to this one b/c it has Connie Kay (of MJQ) as drummer.  But the real star is Richard Davis - who was THE session bassist of the 60s (credits include Eric Dophy's Out to Lunch, most the Andrew Hill Blue notes, Roland Kirk's Rip Roar and Panic, Clifford Jordan's In the World among many others).  The album is blues-tinged bootstrapped folk-rock: it has the  sensibilities of folk without being part of any discernible folk tradition other than itself.  Basically it's an acoustic jam session from an all-star instrumentalist line-up over which Van Morrison sings his evocative if nonsensical lyrics (what exactly is an "Astral Week" anyways?).

Got me thinking - what are this generation's unique vocal talents?  Is there anyone that has a distinctive voice like Van Morrison, or Janis Joplin, or hell even like Mick Jagger?  Just saying certain names you can hear the voice without even referencing a particular song.  Maybe I'm just an Old but there doesn't seem to be that kind of vocal star anymore.  Is anyone going to remember what Ed Sheeran's voice sounds like 30 years from now?

Depends on one's stance. Christina Aguilera has a pretty distinct sound and well Ariana Grande sounds like she is channeling 90s Mariah at times.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

I don't listen to too many groups that have started in the past 10 years, but Alabama Shake's Brittany Howard is fairly distinctive.

garbon

Guano Apes - Open Your Eyes

Oh on the list - Florence Welch and Adele
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Lana del Rey has a unique voice too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

11B4V

11B4V

11B4V

Admiral Yi

Adele has a pretty distinct voice IMO.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2017, 07:49:14 PM

Oh yeah, she's one.

11B - Stevie Winwood, Peter Gabriel, Billy Idol - not of the current generation.  Just more proof of the point.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Kirsty MacColl - 'Kites' album.

Tragedy she suffered such a pointless death.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 03, 2017, 09:01:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2017, 07:49:14 PM

Oh yeah, she's one.

11B - Stevie Winwood, Peter Gabriel, Billy Idol - not of the current generation.  Just more proof of the point.

In Britain's case, I think we now have too many posh boys crowding out a more diverse range of talents.

Plus the English middle class experience isn't exactly fertile group for the seeds of great songs.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

I like Lana del Rey. She's very sultry...old school in a way.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011