And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

:o

Contains everything from Duke Ellington to Mexican folk guitar to Igor Stravinsky; with liner notes by Mingus's psychotherapist.  It probably would improve upon repeated listening; the first time through it's hard to tell if this is the work of a genius or a madman (or both nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.) 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on July 21, 2017, 08:05:36 AM
Check out Bertolt Brecht singing Die Moritat von Mackie Messer (Mack the Knife.) 

;)

On that subject does anyone remember McDonald's running an ad using a variation of Mack the Knife:  Mack Tonight

That might actually be more disturbing than the original song.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Don Pullen - Tomorrow's Promises

Mingus connection here - Pianist Pullen and tenorman George Adams were in the late-era Mingus band before going off on their own.  After Mingus's death they would be joined by drummer and Mingus alter-ego Dannie Richmond.

This is a good intro to Pullen's work with a bunch of different lineups and sounds: two jazz-funk tracks, a ballad with some electronic effects, a Latin tinged piece, a free improvised duo with Adams, and a torch song with vocals.  Often present on this album Pullen's trademark of dense glissando runs produced by rolling over the keyboard with the back of the hand, and where he somehow manages to keep in contact with the melodic line. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

This video, dated about 10 years after Tomorrow's Promises, gives an idea of Pullen's technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZDC6XukS8
He does a run of glissandi starting around 4:38.   
--Joan Robinson

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on July 24, 2017, 06:51:33 PM
A Mel C album.  :blush:

She had some good songs in '99ish.

Jorge Ben - A Tábua de Esmeralda
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

James Brown - Live at the Apollo 1962

Captures the thrill of a James Brown show in the early days.  Not only is the music fantastic, but all those screaming women (:w00t::w00t::w00t:) make you feel like you're right there.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Savonarola on July 24, 2017, 01:20:17 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 21, 2017, 08:05:36 AM
Check out Bertolt Brecht singing Die Moritat von Mackie Messer (Mack the Knife.) 

;)

On that subject does anyone remember McDonald's running an ad using a variation of Mack the Knife:  Mack Tonight

That might actually be more disturbing than the original song.

Apparently his reincarnation as Moon Man is an alt right meme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Tonight
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2017, 05:22:24 PM
Apparently his reincarnation as Moon Man is an alt right meme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Tonight

Ugh

Still a hate symbol based on a TV pitchman who sang a jingle based on Bobby Darin's upbeat performance of a song about a robber and murderer by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill from The Threepenny Opera is bound to be of interest to some future historian.

Savonarola

Stan Getz and João Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto

This is the one with Girl from Ipanema.  Jazz Samba (by Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd) had kicked off the early sixties Bossa Nova craze; this follow up is why Bossa Nova didn't fade to obscurity the way the 50's Latin Invasion craze had (prior to the release of Buena Vista Social Club, I mean.)

DontSayBanana

In a slightly different vein, just got back from a concert. Thank you, Ticketmaster, for dicking us over and owing us free tickets. ;)

Tonight's acts:
Ded
Yelawolf
Skillet
Stone Sour
Korn

Happiness is a night that closes out with an opportunity to sing along with Jonathan Davis on Freak on a Leash- I'm amazed they're still playing it, 20 years later. And Got the Life.
Experience bij!

Savonarola

The Beatles - Hard Day's Night

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

One of the best of the pre - Rubber Soul Beatles (that is, while they were still touring.)  If I were to list that era from best to worst:

Help
Hard Day's Night
Please Please Me
With the Beatles
Beatles for Sale