News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Marty Robbins - Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs (1959) :Alberta:

The first time she heard this, CB asked "Does someone die in every one of these songs?"  (In fact there's deaths in only two thirds of the songs; and my wife did eventually come round to enjoying this album.)

The greatest cowboy album from the golden age of cowboy albums; this one manages to combine traditional folk songs with then contemporary compositions almost seamlessly.  The show stoppers are all Robbins own compositions (Big Iron, El Paso, The Masters Call, and (from the reissue) Saddle Tramp.) 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2017, 09:43:10 AM
Quote from: Josephus on June 29, 2017, 07:28:30 AM
King Crimson. Discipline

Oh, awesome. A favorite of mine (the song and the album).

Nice. They're in town Tuesday.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on June 29, 2017, 04:44:49 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2017, 09:43:10 AM
Quote from: Josephus on June 29, 2017, 07:28:30 AM
King Crimson. Discipline

Oh, awesome. A favorite of mine (the song and the album).

Nice. They're in town Tuesday.

Jos, that makes me jealous.  :(

Though chatting with an older friend a few days ago, I hadn't know he'd seem some of the free Hyde Park festivals in the late 60s, he particularly remembers the Stones gig, the one with King Crimson as a support.  :cool:

Of course now I'm jealous of him.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

LoL..I think that was their first gig ever.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (1959)

Revolutionary at the time of its release, due to all the weird time signatures, today it sounds like coffee house jazz (especially the over-played "Take Five.")  It is a victim of its own success, due to its many imitators; but really the album is very good.

I once saw Dave Brubeck perform at Orchestra Hall in Detroit.  He was well into his eighties by that time (as was most of the audience) but he still put on a great show.   :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

The Everly Brothers - A Date With the Everly Brothers (1960)

"Cathy's Clown" is the big hit off of this one; though they do the original version of "Love Hurts" (yes, the same one as the Nazareth song) and not a bad version of Little Richard's Lucille.

The reviewer on Allmusic.com compared it unfavorably with their first album "It's Everly Time."  I listened to that and that was really cool.  It's got a stripped down sound, sort of like The Everly Brothers record at Sun Studios.  There's no big hit on that album ("So Sad" was the only single) but every song is good.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Johnny Cash - American III - Solitary Man.

I was listening to his version of The Mercy Seat with my wife, and I mentioned it was a cover of Nick Cave's song - she refused to believe it at first.  :lol: I played her the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds original, but we both agreed, the Cash version is better.  ;)

It's an awesome song.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Re King Crimson - recent New Yorker article on prog rock:  http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/06/19/the-persistence-of-prog-rock
My own 2c is that the critics have a point - at it's best, prog was still a somewhat watered down version of jazz-rock fusion or classical-rock fusion, what's the point?  Then again, rock itself is subject to the same critique as watered down rhythm and blues: the "authenticity" of the Stones exists by virtue of their ripping off Bo Diddley.  Also article made a good point in the wake of the recent Beatles hagiographies of the clear linkage of the (always cool) Beatles from Rubber Soul on to (uncool) prog. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 05, 2017, 12:44:37 PM
Re King Crimson - recent New Yorker article on prog rock:  http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/06/19/the-persistence-of-prog-rock
My own 2c is that the critics have a point - at it's best, prog was still a somewhat watered down version of jazz-rock fusion or classical-rock fusion, what's the point?  Then again, rock itself is subject to the same critique as watered down rhythm and blues: the "authenticity" of the Stones exists by virtue of their ripping off Bo Diddley.  Also article made a good point in the wake of the recent Beatles hagiographies of the clear linkage of the (always cool) Beatles from Rubber Soul on to (uncool) prog.

To my mind, rock critics blathering about "authenticity" and "coolness" is just that. No modern music is truly "authentic".

Dismissing Rush as "fascists" is of course hilarious in its stupidity, as pointed out in the article.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Liz Phair - Animal Girl
Janis Joplin - Summertime
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Joan Baez - Joan Baez (1960)

I'm not a huge fan of Joan Baez; I think most of her hits were done better by other people (yes, even Diamonds and Rust).  This album might have the sole exception "Silver Dagger."  This album was the zeitgeist; the folk revival was becoming the music of college students.  Joan recorded this at age 19 and it sounds like she did it at a coffee house.

Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard (1960)

I was listening to this and thinking, "Isn't Bill Evans a pianist?. :unsure:  Why are they focusing on the bass?" It turns out the bassist (Scott LaFaro) died shortly after this was recorded and Evans chose tracks in tribute to his friend.  If you're a bassist this is a must own; even if not this is a really good jazz album.

Savonarola

Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack (1960)

Funk-y  :cool: I had no idea anyone was this funky back in 1960.

Savonarola

And on the subject of albums that sound like they were recorded at the coffee house:

Ramblin' Jack Elliot - Jack Takes the Floor (1958)

Jack was something of a character; the son of Jewish doctor from New York City, he ran away from home at 15 in order to join the rodeo :alberta:.  His parents found him and dragged him back home after a few months.  Eventually he adopted a vaguely western accent, became Woody Guthrie's partner (Woody Guthrie sings "New York Town" with him on this album), and became a singin' cowboy from New York City.  This album is a mix of folk, country and storytelling.  It's definitely lo-fi and sounds like it was done in one take; but still well worth a listen.