News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2017, 09:24:22 AM
Actually...I don't think they did Losing It ever before.

You could well be right, I was just looking up the above show of hands dvd, so I could buy it and there was a reference to it not having been played in a absolutely ages.

edit:

So I definitely didn't hear it live.  :(

https://theanalogkidblog.com/2013/12/05/five-rush-songs-that-have-never-been-played-live/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

yeah...that was what was so special about them playing it on the last tour, the fact that they'd never played it before. In Toronto, where I saw them, they also brought out Ben Mink to play violin (he played on the album).
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Sarah Vaughan - At Mister Kelly's

What a voice and that tone that could change from world-weariness to witty in a heartbeat.  Her impression of Ella Fitzgerald alone makes the record worthwhile and there's so much more there.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Disturbed - Down With The Sickness
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Ella Fitzgerald - The Gershwin Songbook

If she had married Darth Vader she would have been Ella Vader...

Sorry, this is one of eight songbooks Ella Fitzgerald did each focusing on a different American composer.  Surprisingly there's no scat on this one; otherwise it's unmistakably Ella; great interpretations of 'Swonderful songs.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

If it had scat on it, Germans would snap it up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Ella Fitzgerald - The Cole Porter Songbook

I didn't know several of these songs and some I didn't realize were Cole Porter songs.

While he certainly did not have the voice Ella did, I do like Cole Porter's versions of his own songs the best.  (Also I think Gershwin's songs sound best on just piano or with piano and voice.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2017, 07:31:27 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 23, 2017, 12:08:36 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 22, 2017, 09:46:25 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 22, 2017, 04:36:02 PM
Rush - Signals

Nice.

You're just saying that because you're Canadian.

I don't like Nickleback or Justin Bieber do I?

I didn't say you were a 13 year-old girl, did I?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 25, 2017, 05:22:54 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2017, 07:31:27 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 23, 2017, 12:08:36 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 22, 2017, 09:46:25 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 22, 2017, 04:36:02 PM
Rush - Signals

Nice.

You're just saying that because you're Canadian.

I don't like Nickleback or Justin Bieber do I?

I didn't say you were a 13 year-old girl, did I?

Would you like me to pretend to be one?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

Savonarola

Ray Charles :cool: - The Genius of Ray Charles  :cool:

Perhaps not the most humble title for an album (though nowhere near as obnoxious as Ravi Shankar's "Portrait of a Genius"); but still this is great.  The first half of the album is standards (where he's backed by members of both the Count Basie and Duke Ellington orchestras.)  The second half is ballads where he's backed by strings. 

The Minsky Moment

Woody Shaw, Rosewood

The album won 2 grammys back in 1978, notwithstanding that fact it's actually very good.  I only knew Shaw from the Dexter Gordon homecoming album - but he really was a great player and leader in his own right, had the ill timing to peak during the 70s which was a confused time in the jazz world.  Died tragically a decade later from a freak subway accident.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum