News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on November 29, 2016, 07:37:46 PM
Been listening to New Model Army again... they seem fairly topical these days.

Well, that's a blast from the past - was one of my favorite bands, many moons ago. I still love their stuff but haven't listened to them for a while. I think I will, now.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Been to their concert 10 or so years ago. It was pretty great.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Thinking back, one of the first things my wife ever gave me when we met in university for the first time was a mix tape of New Mode Army.

Yes, tape. That was the tech then!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

The Smiths - That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Danzig - Mother

I still think the young Glenn Danzig would have been a good Wolverine. His height of 160 cm is also more in line with the comics.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Living Color - Cult of Personality

This served as entrance theme for wrestler CM Punk. He had mediocre in ring skills, but he was great on the microphone, often breaking character and blurring the lines between fiction and reality, sometimes going very meta (in hindsight he used it to air his grievances with the WWE as an organization, and there's no love lost between them - he was fired on the day of his wedding). In that respect the song was a well fitting tune, commenting on the relationship between performer and audience.

QuoteLook in my eyes, what do you see?
The cult of personality
I know your anger, I know your dreams
I've been everything you want to be
I'm the cult of personality
Like Mussolini and Kennedy
The cult of personality
The cult of personality
Neon lights, a Nobel Prize
Then a mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You don't have to follow me
Only you can set me free
I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your T.V.
I exploit you still you love me
I tell you one and one makes three
Like Joseph Stalin and Gandhi
The cult of personality
The cult of personality
Neon lights a Nobel Prize
A leader speaks, that leader dies
You don't have to follow me
Only you can set you free
You gave me fortune
You gave me fame
You gave me power in your own god's name
I'm every person you need to be
Oh, I'm the cult of personality
I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of
I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of, I'm the cult of personality
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Pearl Jam - Nothingman

Feels like my theme song sometimes.

Josephus

Moody Blues: To Our Children's Children's Children
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on December 04, 2016, 05:51:08 PM
Moody Blues: To Our Children's Children's Children

:thumbsup:  My personal favorite, even if Graeme Edge's verse is even goofier than usual (involving among other things "Ten billion butterfly sneezes.")
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Garbage - Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!)

Liep

Vladimir Vysotsky - Spasite nashi dushi
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Bomb The Bass - Megablast - Hip-Hop On Precinct 13

For the Xenon 2 nostalgia... :cool:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.