News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 31, 2024, 09:50:04 AMI see both Ray Brown and Dave Holland played bass (different numbers), which seems overkill for this kind of project.  Also, the ubiquitous Ry Cooder appears.

Overkill is a good term for it; for a folk album that's quite a band.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Was looking if any interesting bands are coming to Vienna, and came across this .... :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I assume some people here will be familiar with Orphaned Land, an Israeli metal band.

One of their more well known songs is Norra El Norra from 2004:

To quote from https://genius.com/Orphaned-land-norra-el-norra-entering-the-ark-lyrics

QuoteThe lyrics for "Norra El Norra" derive from the Jewish prayer service for the night beginning Yom Kippur, the Jewish "Day of Atonement". Jewish prayers follow the paradigm of what might in other contexts be called "praise service"; on that most holy of nights, the congregation sing praises to God to "soften Him up" before asking Him to forgive their sins. "Norra" is the Hebrew word for "terrible" or "terror-inspiring", and "El" is a form of God's name. "Norra El Norra" is an appellation that translates to "Most Terrifying God", appropriate for prayers on the night on which Jews believe God passes judgement on them for their behavior the preceding year.

In the context of the "Mabool" album, the characters sing this praise to God as the flood rains begin and they enter the ark, to thank Him for sparing them from obliteration.

There's now a ... well, I guess you'd call it remix? :D Normally not much into such techno/dance stuff, but somehow it reminded me of early 2000s video game soundtracks a bit, like C&C Generals maybe?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

David Gilmour's newest. On first listen, likely his best solo album

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

I've been reading up on Motown.  When they were starting in the late 50's it was just accepted that everyone was going to work for an automotive company.  Smokey Robinson was planning to be an electrical engineer, but took what we would call a "Gap year" in order to try to make it as a musician; which obviously worked out.  Eddie Holland (of the Holland-Dozier-Holland songwriting team, and a singer in his own right in the early days) was planning on becoming an accountant.

Also in the early days the British record companies viewed Motown as "Race" music who they thought would have limited appeal in the UK (the only radio station that would play them was a shortwave station) however the companies also recognized the quality of the compositions; so a number of artists recorded Motown covers.  This changed after the Beatles recorded three covers on "With the Beatles" (Money, Please Mr. Postman and You Really Got a Hold on Me) and The Rolling Stones covered "Can I get a Witness."

Interestingly enough, all three Motown songs were cut from the US release of "Meet the Beatles," called "With the Beatles;" (to no great loss.  I don't think the Beatles covered Motown very well.)  The Rolling Stones were much better, "Hitch Hike" and "Just My Imagination" are both fine covers.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock