News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2024, 03:10:28 PMYeah, that was great.  But next time could you not put the year of the Album.  It is a bit jarring to think about how old I, um I mean, it is.

:lol:

That doesn't really bother until albums released after I graduated from college.  The Eminem Show can't really be over twenty years old and the Battle of Britpop couldn't really have happened nearly thirty years ago, right?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on October 08, 2024, 04:34:29 PMHerbie Hancock - Headhunters (1973)

It's the second-best Herbie Hancock album of 1973 (after Sextent) but obviously a lot more commercially successful.
I don't think its aged very well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

David Bowie - Pinups (1973)

The last hurrah for The Spiders From Mars, but unfortunately the weakest studio album of Bowie's 70s era work (I prefer it to "David Live").  Bowie did a number of covers over his career, but an album of covers just didn't work out.  The only song that's better than the original is "Sorrow" (originally by the Merseys.)  He deserves credit for trying to do something different with "See Emily Play," but it's just not very good.  The other songs are very much like the originals.  It's not bad, but as compared to his other work from the era it's a disappointment.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Last night I saw Pom Poko live.
They're a Norwegian indie, post punk, grungy shoe gazy sort of set up with a female vocalist.
They're unflashy but musically solid.

The support was some Brighton band called Congratulations who were... Different. Front woman isn't a looker but good performance. Beth Ditto meets Kate Jackson vibes. Decent band.
██████
██████
██████